or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

OthersYou probably know this already but remember that AirPlay is your friend. Assuming you have an iOS device you can throw content from the Plex app and Amazon Prime app over to your Apple TV box. Some apps may not support AirPlay but many do. Concerning Plex you might be disappointed by the artifacts when playing on a big screen. I use Air Video HD with the same content and get a much nicer big screen picture. The metadata with Plex is much better but picture quality is...
Just a few incontestable facts. I have an iPad. Two free apps, iBook and Kindle, are installed (I have several others but leave it there for now). Many ebooks are available for both ebook reading apps from Apple and Amazon. How can there even be a basis for anyone but a moron to claim Apple has an opportunity for fixing prices? If an ebook costs less through Amazon and I want to save money I buy it from Amazon (using the Safari web browser for the technically challenged)...
I don't understand why so many seem so belligerent about this product. Personally I appreciate that Apple has made iOS so 'open' to basically all comers. I have and use a variety of apps for reading ebooks on my iPad. Same thing for video content. I was quite happy that there is an app (from Amazon) for viewing Amazon Prime media and, of course, it can be tossed over to Apple TV for viewing on the big screen. If I have a problem with Apple Maps, I can switch to Google...
@rob53 have you been to a Best Buy store? I've seen Apple TV there. I think you are right about a sales person pushing an Apple product. Apple doesn't play the spiff for salesmen game (at least they did not in the past). Some companies pay commissions directly to salesmen for selling their products. That is an important reason to usually disregard the opinion of the salesman. He (or she) is not always a disinterested party.
I wish people would stop trying to shoot the messenger. In all probability if he were malevolent, we would hear nothing from him. There are always phishing attacks directed at Apple developers which should universally fail. On the other hand this event should allow the minions to do all the things they've wanted and needed to do to improve security. In any case note that unlike other breaches all sensitive information was encrypted (according to Apple) so it seems this...
That was auto-correct that snuck that damn apostrophe into "Its"
I don't check into AppleInsider with enough frequency so I just got your reply. Let me try one more time. Apple implemented and deployed FireWire. It is an isochronous version of Ethernet. It's cables do not plug into Ethernet interfaces, hence the unique shape. Lightning cables do plug into USB interfaces but have a different plug on one end. There are many USB cables that have that characteristic, usually a smaller plug because of size constraints. I can see that...
The USB diagnostic tools do just fine analyzing the packets that go across the cable. Last time I checked USB is still an industry standard. It may stretch the standard by allowing more power to recharge the battery faster. But that is not exactly rocket science. In fact it is a lot like the sleazy cellphone companies that use unnecessarily 'custom' connectors for recharging so you have to buy their over-priced replacement cables / power adapters. I know I read some...
I don't understand what motivates the chorus of boos. How is this authentication issue different from the BS the printer manufacturers use to jack up the price of toner refills? When you want to buy a USB cable to run an industry standard protocol across the wire you hope to pay less than $20. I expect this sort of ruse from no name companies but it is disappointing when Apple pulls the stunt. It seems like they make sufficient profit that they wouldn't need to gouge like...
@gazoobee I'm pretty sure I read that iOS 7 beta for iPad has not been made available yet. That seems like a more probable explanation than the idea that everyone has simply overlooked it so far.