or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

You have heard of this event we have each year called Christmas, right? The initial hype is nothing compared to the personal testimonials of people who have actually owned and used iPads. With distribution just opened up for Target and Amazon as well as the rumored Walmart availability starting in November the sales figures will probably only be limited by how fast Apple is able to manufacture them. The most surprising aspect of this phenomenon is how flat footed the...
Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I expect there will be apps for it once Apple is satisfied they have the right strategy for user input. Recall that Apple can be very fixed on the idea of don't do anything until they are certain it is right: copy and paste, 3rd party app multitasking, an app store for the iPhone. Apple is probably in the process of bypassing the cable TV industry and the DVD-bluray system so their steps need to be taken quite carefully.
Could mini USB be used for anything useful besides charging? I don't know how it works electrically but I've only seen mini USB on cables where the 'receiver' device is located while the standard USB plug is what goes into the computer (master). So, for instance, could the iPad be the 'master' with the mini USB plug and a receiver USB plug on the other end of the cable plugged into a hard drive, printer, etc? (USB does not set up a network like ethernet, there is a...
I don't know if someone eventually answers this but I'll add my explanation. Just like the current OS X is tied to the Intel processor, it appears that iOS is tied to Apple's A4 processor which is what is in the new Apple TV but not in the old one. It seems very unlikely that iOS can be hacked onto the old Apple TV because it is not binary compatible. As Apple migrated from 68000 to PowerPC, PowerPC to Intel, Intel to ARM, ARM to A4, they used emulation or bundled multiple...
Given the comments of Verizon's CEO and their entire history do you really think Verizon will be getting any iPhones? Verizon is the poster boy of the carrier as potentate over all. Both Apple and Verizon have stood firm in their respective positions for several years with all that unrealized revenue just sitting there. Apple and anyone who cares to notice can see how Verizon is in the process of eviscerating Google by using the open nature of Android against both Google...
I believe the previous poster would require HDMI -> component since AppleTV is an HDMI source and his TV needs component input.
No, if it's not Scottish, it's crap! (delivered with proper brogue). I don't think any comment even mentioned quality or lack thereof. The issue was how bizarre it was to make the comparison. At first glance it may seem weird since there has been a lot of bravado about how much better the competing tablet products will be and this claim seems to be a tactical retreat. But there really is a tradition of identifying which product is the most sought after with little hope of...
Why do so many insist on going back over 20 years to look or analogies and patterns? Under current management a more apt event to consider is Apple and the iPod from 10 years ago. I suspect the same pundits were staking their reputations on the insight that Apple's early lead in digital audio devices would inevitably be unable to compete with "open" architecture rivals. In short order Apple would be reduced to a niche player. We know how that wisdom has played out in the...
No matter how many times you repeat yourself you are overstating your case. One of the meanings is "accuse of wrongdoing", but a dictionary also provides as a first definition "to assert without proof". I'm not at home so I can't check the OED but allege sounds like the right verb for a rumor site.
Like the other iOS devices it isn't really feasible to just buy an iPad. Without a Mac or PC running iTunes you are in a very uncomfortable position. I suppose one could use a public PC to activate the iPad (assuming it had iTunes installed, etc) but it is almost certain there would also be a family computer present at home and one person would be the main user of the iPad. I've lent my iPad to my brother a few times but changing all the logins back is annoying. It really...