or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

Just a possibly amusing follow up on my previous comment. I mainly use XCode for development but am quite willing to use shell commands when needed for various purposes including compiling and installing code. So I pasted in the example and I got: -bash: repo: command not found Not too discouraging so I started looking around for how to install repo. I find a webpage with some instructions and comments that indicate others have not been able to use the suggestions. And so...
Your commentary appears to overlook how much Apple has promoted open source and public protocols. A few salient examples are WebKit, Darwin, bonjour. Just about any technology company, including Google, has both proprietary and open source code (some just use and others contribute as well). Only someone unfamiliar with pesky facts could claim Apple and Steve Jobs are opposed to open source.
He is showing how easily and tersely one can recompile Android from it's publicly available source code. That implies if you want to change some aspect of Android you have the opportunity to edit the source code, recompile, and then install on your handset. This is nerd nirvana but it is a bit naive on at least two counts. It doesn't account for the venality of handset manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Motorola) who try to stifle this capability. It also presumes that...
Your "facts" conveniently overlook the significant fact that the iPhone is only one part of the iOS universe. The iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV (2nd gen) contribute mightily to the ecosystem that is iOS. Many don't seem to get the important fact that voice telephony is just an app. It is not primary, just historical and will fade as technology and business advance.
I agree with much of what you write but I would put the change at the introduction of the iPhone and iPod touch. The iPad made the new computer world order more clearly visible. I suppose it is inevitable that each generation will see its successor as not legitimate.
All of those 200,000 apps are compiled to x86 code while in development. To test the code on an actual iOS device the same source code is compiled to run on an ARM chip. The x86 code is already being created, it just isn't distributed. It seems like it would be an easy "flip of a switch" to create x86 versions of apps that were created using Apple's development tools.
Well, yes, but it certainly benefits from having a computer associated with it. A simple example would apply to someone with a CD collection. You could buy the tracks from iTMS but it is nice to be able to rip CD's and DVD's that you already own. Air Video Server is one of the best apps for providing media to the iPad and it requires a server on a Mac or PC. You want to read PDF's in iBooks? A Mac running iTunes can be more than convenient. Find a web site that won't work...
Nah, Apple is making their products available through Target and (probably) Walmart but they are not discounting them in any significant way. You can get a better price buying though Amazon with free shipping (usually if you are patient) and sales tax arbitrage. All that is going on here is distribution, distribution, distribution. Why force customers to trek to an Apple Store just to exchange money for a product in a nice box? Make it as easy as possible for a customer to...
Wake up and smell the coffee! Apple made the exclusive deal with AT&T because Jobs wanted to change the terms of the deal in the US cellphone market. Before the iPhone not only was the technology crap (more specifically the UX), the whole show was dominated by the carriers rather than handset makers, developers, and users. Carriers, especially Verizon, decided what crap they put on your handset, what could not be deleted, ridiculous charges for 'services' which were...
You have heard of this event we have each year called Christmas, right? The initial hype is nothing compared to the personal testimonials of people who have actually owned and used iPads. With distribution just opened up for Target and Amazon as well as the rumored Walmart availability starting in November the sales figures will probably only be limited by how fast Apple is able to manufacture them. The most surprising aspect of this phenomenon is how flat footed the...