or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

How is this for a possible alternative? Inform us that you own or owned an iPhone4 and the antenna issue was a matter of actual concern to you. One thing I can't stand are all the individuals with strident opinions but no actual interest. You know, people who never have and never intend to purchase an Apple product but have an irrepressible need to pontificate. Jehovah Witnesses come to my door from time to time promoting their faith and frankly I am not interested in...
A developer is going to be interested in the installed base for the platform not just the most recent device in one (admittedly huge) niche. Include the iPod touch, iPad, and iPhone 3gs to get a better idea and factor in the higher propensity to purchase apps for iOS devices. It is useful to developers and consumers that Android provides competition but so far that is all it is, competition.
At the risk of preaching Steve Jobs did milk the Mac for all he could before moving on to the next great thing. The milking phase was OS8 and OS9. The next great thing was OSX which was actually NextStep and really a complete break from the Mac legacy. The Macs you buy today are actually NextStep machines that are marketed as Macs. They seem to be Macs to most because Apple managed the transition so well in most cases. One case that did not go so well was Adobe which was...
Nonsense! Apple offers a broader range than any other company currently. There is the current cellphone for those who enjoy a monthly cellphone bill, an equivalent iPod for those who don't, and the incredibly successfully launched iPad. All three share the same OS and API's (if you can develop for one you can develop for all three). No one is currently competitive for developer mindshare in the mobile market. Whatever is revealed tomorrow will help determine if this...
It's possible that the decision to invest in the creation of the Apple Store was the most important decision that Jobs made. The bias of store clerks in big box stores was a continuing, almost implacable challenge for Apple until they opened their own stores. The irony is that changing the environment changed the sale of Apple products from a depressed ghetto off in a corner to the apex of the retail world. It shows the incompetence of the management of Best Buy and...
I bought it but I won't be buying it again at these prices. It is also very careless with the space available on a mobile platform. The purchase was more a matter of curiosity and nostalgia. I remember how much I enjoyed reading that premiere issue of Wired back in the spring of 1993. It seemed only fair to give the new format an initial look. A problem is that there are many tempting apps that compete for that $5 impulse purchase. At $1 or $2 it might slip through.
The entertaining part of this story is how starkly it contrasts with the triumphalism of many Android partisans (ie people who prefer the approach and goals of Android). You would think the iPhone platform was already eclipsed by Android and declining. It may some day but Apple stockholders have to be happy with the way things look currently.
This is just silly and rather glib. Microsoft was almost the only PC operating system at the time. They had something like 80% - 90% of the market. What percent of the smartphone market do you imagine the iPhone has? They aren't even the leading vendor. Monopolies, per se, are not illegal. But using a monopoly in one market to extend a monopoly to another market is illegal and Microsoft's position was found to be officially a monopoly position. I hope the arguments...
One area where Apple badly lags Microsoft (and IBM and probably more than a few other tech companies) is investment in basic research. For many years it probably made sense to run lean in order to insure that Apple had a future. But tech companies like Bell Labs and IBM made Nobel prize level contributions to society. Now that Apple has performed so well I hope they do more than just product development. When Jobs was recruiting Sculley he asked him if he wanted to spend...
The numbers I read in another article imply that is probably not the case. The estimate was that Apple is currently selling about 100,000 Macs per week and 200,000 iPads per week. The iPad is less expensive so in that regard it may not be surprising. But the implication drawn in the article is that this implies that just like the iPod there will soon be more iPads than Macs. So if this trend continues, and it seems almost certain as iPad ships to more foreign markets, the...