or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

Bingo! You've nailed it! It wasn't an oversight or accident. It is the sort of bold move that it seems only Apple is willing to make, like they did with the original Mac and the iPhone. The only question is if the third time is even more of a charm or is it mighty Casey striking out? Based on the iPhone experience I think they will shock and mortify their geek detractors. My only concern about the device is how hot it might be to hold. You could fry an egg on the bottom of...
Hence the (alleged) complaint by Steve Jobs that Adobe engineers have been lazy. There is no legitimate reason Flash is such a pig except that they have not made the effort to improve their code. Other video formats perform well on Macs since QuickTime was introduced about 20 years ago. For example many movies and TV shows you watch are edited on Macs. For that matter the original professional video editing program was introduced on the Mac by Adobe: Adobe Premier.
Take a step back, a deep breath and consider the possibility that Apple is selling the device that they want to sell. It is possible that they feel that allowing for unrestricted multitasking leads to an inferior user experience (obviously I'm just guessing). If multitasking is a deciding issue for you then it is possible (likely?) that the iPhone is not the device for you. Confusion is a major issue for many people who can be smarter than either you or me but utterly...
I hate to do this but for the sake of propriety that should be: "Me too! Me too! Me too!"
Bill Gates did not invent DOS. He sold rights to it to IBM and then went across town to Seattle Micro and bought it (what he had been pitching to IBM). Of course it was subsequently developed into a more capable product over the years by a team led by Paul Allen. So DOS was not a product created internally by Microsoft and iTunes was not a product created internally by Apple. For that matter OS X was not created internally at Apple. It was created at another company...
The US started its digital transition in 1996 and extended its deadline more than once to finish in 2009 but now it is done. Now we have better pictures, more efficient use of spectrum, etc. The untold consequence of grabbing all the spectrum from TV to auction it off is the destruction of non-cable TV. This would be a travesty. Yes, there are many people happy to spend $100 per month and more for access to cable TV but that doesn't mean this expense should be imposed on...
How the hell do you format an iPhone? I know how to do a restore and how to install an update, but format?
The people who run Apple learned this lesson over 20 years ago. The first Mac (1984) was launched with the 68000 processor and it changed the PC marketplace. It took years for competitors to respond effectively but unfortunately for Apple it took them years to evolve the product to take advantage of the 68020 chip while PC's had already moved to the 80386 from the 8088. It is too complicated to ignore the many other factors but "taking their foot off the accelerator" was a...
It may be a distinction without a difference but the iPod touch does have the ability to make purchases directly from the iTunes store (music, apps, TV and movies). It does cost $200 for the smallest (8GB) model and it is arguably not a real iPod but it can operate on its own after being set up. When you take it new, from the box it definitely needs a connection to Apple via iTunes, but it seems like it could operate on its own after that.
OS X already runs on ARM processors. I don't know why people don't get it. The iPhone is running OS X. It doesn't have a large screen and uses multitouch rather than a mouse and keyboard but it is programmed by third parties using objective-c and the Cocoa API's. That is part of the reason so many apps have been developed in a short period of time.