or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

The people who run Apple learned this lesson over 20 years ago. The first Mac (1984) was launched with the 68000 processor and it changed the PC marketplace. It took years for competitors to respond effectively but unfortunately for Apple it took them years to evolve the product to take advantage of the 68020 chip while PC's had already moved to the 80386 from the 8088. It is too complicated to ignore the many other factors but "taking their foot off the accelerator" was a...
It may be a distinction without a difference but the iPod touch does have the ability to make purchases directly from the iTunes store (music, apps, TV and movies). It does cost $200 for the smallest (8GB) model and it is arguably not a real iPod but it can operate on its own after being set up. When you take it new, from the box it definitely needs a connection to Apple via iTunes, but it seems like it could operate on its own after that.
OS X already runs on ARM processors. I don't know why people don't get it. The iPhone is running OS X. It doesn't have a large screen and uses multitouch rather than a mouse and keyboard but it is programmed by third parties using objective-c and the Cocoa API's. That is part of the reason so many apps have been developed in a short period of time.
Originally Posted by DistortedLoop "I agree. There was an A&E produced series of movies I wanted to see recently. iTunes had them, but at a total cost of $80. No way I would pay that much for a few DRM movies locked to my computer that weren't likely to get more than one viewing. There was no rental option on iTunes. NetFlix had the DVDs, so they went into the queue; then I torrented the movies anyways." "Here's the moral: I was willing to pay for the movies if the...
This quote is taken out of context so I apologize but there is the implication of something that is simply not true. Macs certainly do run iPhone apps. Any iPhone developer knows a project can be compiled to run on intel or arm. The intel version runs on the iPhone simulator while the arm version runs on the actual device. There are issues about sensors (shake your Mac?) and many other factors, but the Mac and iPhone are tightly bound. My overriding question is about the...
First, Apple did not get to its enviably profitable position by catering to business markets per se. Their products can certainly be adapted to those purposes but there is much more attention to detail and perfectionist touches (resulting in higher prices) to appeal most directly to a manager choosing equipment for employees. I hope they do not lose that focus and try to design a "business" machine. Second, I assume by OS X you mean software that uses windows, menus, and...
The point of the article is the contrast between 95% and 55%. If ignorance is the main factor that would imply that iPod touch owners are a much more ignorant group. I don't find that a very compelling thesis.
I hope the executives at Apple who favor not charging for incremental updates gain ammunition from this report. One of the very significant advantages of the iPhone/iPod touch platform for developers is its homogeneity. If large numbers of customers opt out of upgrades, that invites all sorts of self-inflicted tech support problems. It does not seem that anyone is buying the story about accounting issues forcing Apple to charge since none of its competitors seem to have...
No, this is what Steve Jobs should say to AT&T: http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/12/a-n...on-of-att.html There is a lot of hyperbole and abuse in the rant but it is all deserved by AT&T and its brown nosing sycophants. p.s. It isn't AT&T but actually a company that bought AT&T's name so they could besmirch it.
Looking at simple population numbers could help make sense of the situation. South Korea has a population of 48 million while the US population is over 300 million. So the "same" or similar results in both markets could have varying meanings. There is also the issue of how open a market is. For instance, Nokia, the market leader worldwide recently withdrew entirely from the Japanese market. This corresponds to the idea that some Asian markets include factors that inhibit...