or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

I can't say for certain but I would bet that Logitech used the API for third party products to work with iTunes that I referenced in my other post. Palm has the option to do the same thing but prefers to play this odd game with their customers. I guess they hope enough people don't really know what is going on and that Apple would face some sort of backlash. The whole thing smacks of pointy hair boss thinking. Dilbert would not approve.
Are you just trolling? Apple devoted extensive engineering resources to develop iTunes, QuickTime and Safari for Windows. They wrote their own apps to run under Windows and allow iPod owners to use a PC rather than restricting themselves to the Mac market. How does that compare to Palm Pre's refusal to write its own software but instead to make their customers rely on a hack that attempts to fool someone else's software to operate as though another vendor's product was...
It is tricky to predict trends before there is any data (see Android and claims of its inevitable triumph) but in the case of Apple and RIM the prediction follows from rather simple linear extrapolation. You may scoff at crude linear extrapolation but it is where any reasonable prediction begins. Reasonably probable events that could change that sort of linear behavior include Apple adding new carriers in the US market. That would, of course, make matters more challenging...
Using the term "superior" was probably a poor choice. Compiler technology has evolved over the years but originally both C++ and Objective C programs were pre-processed to C programs which were then compiled. So claiming superiority would be difficult but it could be claimed that Objective C is a language with a higher level of abstraction. It is more like SmallTalk than C. Both C++ and Objective C claim to be object oriented languages but Alan Kay, inventor of object...
I believe I read that Apple Store customers who purchase Macs include 50% who are first time Apple customers. Advertising at Mac centric sites would miss this group (non-Apple customers at those sites tend to be trolls who will buy from Apple when hell freezes over). Also Engadget and Gizmodo have tremendously larger audiences. The Mac enthusiasts will see the reviews at the larger sites anyway.
In a later reply you indicate you respect the opinion of someone who chooses to buy the new mouse. How does : "That's absurd" fit into that respect? Incidentally I also don't plan to purchase the new mouse at that price unless I hear near universal high praise and/or get to try it out for more than just a store visit.
You're new around these parts, aren't you. Apple and Microsoft were closest allies at one point and some of Microsoft's flagship products were produced first for the Mac (e.g. Excel). Then Apple and IBM were allied against Intel with Apple using IBM's processor technology. More recently Apple has become a close ally of Intel. This stuff changes with the weather and these ad campaigns are mainly a sideshow. With Apple focused on world standard 3G networks (which Verizon is...
Snarky ad campaigns are no substitute for shipping real products. I'm not a big fan of the continuing "I'm a PC..." ads but there are actual products available for sale that correspond to the ads. I would just echo what others have said here: bring it on, please. Apple needs some actual competition in order to benefit the consumers. Relatively or completely content free campaigns like this and the laptop hunters ads don't provide technically accomplished products, just...
A bigger impediment than $99 per year is getting the source code to all the apps you might want to use and the skills needed to compile, provision and maintain the apps (there are now three things that are inevitable: death, taxes, and code rot).
I have definitely had problems with wifi on first and third generation iPod touches. This is with the most recent Apple Extreme N router. But this is radio technology in a potentially noisy environment so I am not scandalized. I'd be very pleased if Apple turned on the N radio in the 3G iPod touch which might alleviate some of the problem. Those issues are not connected to this promising announcement. Using the wifi radios in devices to set up a mesh network clearly has...