or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

A bigger impediment than $99 per year is getting the source code to all the apps you might want to use and the skills needed to compile, provision and maintain the apps (there are now three things that are inevitable: death, taxes, and code rot).
I have definitely had problems with wifi on first and third generation iPod touches. This is with the most recent Apple Extreme N router. But this is radio technology in a potentially noisy environment so I am not scandalized. I'd be very pleased if Apple turned on the N radio in the 3G iPod touch which might alleviate some of the problem. Those issues are not connected to this promising announcement. Using the wifi radios in devices to set up a mesh network clearly has...
This is the crucial question about this announcement. Verizon has been the antithesis of open for wireless. Anyone can mouth platitudes but will there be a meaningful change in the way Verizon operates as a result of the pressure they are feeling from missing the iPhone opportunity? That would be a good outcome for consumers. It would also make more likely a deal between Apple and Verizon when Verizon finally upgrades to a less parochial network standard like LTE. There...
So are we to assume you don't have a TV set? Microsoft's multi million dollar ad campaign is aimed directly at Apple. Also, at least recently, whenever Apple is rumored to have a new product soon to be released, Microsoft feels the urge to "leak" news of projects and prototypes they have in their labs. Then there are the claims that Microsoft employees and the children of high level executives not being allowed to have iPods. The comments of Ballmer about Apple in...
Do you think Verizon has hurt Apple's feelings? Seriously, these are businesses whose only desire is to make profit. Don't forget two huge decisions made by Apple without regard to hurt feelings. Sculley changed from its partnership with Motorola to the arch enemy IBM for its processor technology in the 90's. More recently the world was surprised again by Jobs decision to shift from IBM to Intel. The deal is likely to be made when it makes sense (i.e. money) for both...
Please, the word is "lose" not "loose". I'd be less likely to complain but this instance is the second time already for this thread. One of the words is a verb and the other is an adjective. If you lose a shirt you can not find it, but if a shirt is loose then it is too large.
Apple has supported multi-button mice forever in its api's. So "power users" have had the option to purchase a third party mouse and take advantage of it in essentially all software including software from Apple (I had a two button optical mouse for my Mac Plus in 1987). But from a design standpoint Apple (or more specifically Steve Jobs) was adamant about avoiding any unnecessary complication for the majority of computer users who really object to complexity being the...
Really? Most of the "elegant" animation I see on the web reminds me of the mind-numbingly stupid animation you see on local TV newscasts and commercials. Text that expands slightly, moves across the screen, etc. Unfortunately it is often written by people who seem to be less than impressive in their grasp of subjects I know well, which undermines my faith in the presence of actual intelligence. Don't misunderstand, I enjoy good animation but I don't equate it with user...
Maybe if Adobe did something about the ridiculous load Flash puts on the processor it might make more sense to enable it on mobile (battery powered) devices. I don't even like running into it on my MacbookPro. It hogs the processor (easily checked by running "Activity Monitor") and causes the damn fans to be turned on to keep things from melting. Maybe Flash is fine for desktop platforms but with mobile in the process of displacing desktop we need better battery technology...
I was content to read previous comments and just shake my head and continue skimming through. But this claim is just magnificently dopey. That formula you describe has NOTHING to do with the actual iPhone. Have you even used one? WinMo + PDA + Newton? Are you kidding? Previous cellphones were phones with various other functions clumsily and uncomfortably appended. For example web browsing has been available for many years on cellphones but it was almost unusable. The...