or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln
It just jumped out at me why Apple might be doing this. They don't want to distract attention from the tablet device. If the iPod touch is too compelling then there is less room for a more expensive alternative. Treating the iPod touch as a gaming device seems daft when it is so much more but not if you want that position taken by a yet to be introduced device.
I agree that a skype iPod Touch is compelling but why is it not already a factor? The existing G2 iPod Touch has microphone input with Apple's high end earbuds ($80). I'd be satisfied with telephone access limited by wifi availability but I think that is the big factor that keeps it from competing with the iPhone. Students on campuses with ubiquitous wifi should be able to use skype and the G2 iPod touch to enable telephony already but even then there are some integration...
I had the money burning a hole in my pocket for an upgrade from a G1 8GB touch but Apple's questionable choices make that purchase much less likely. When the iPhone 3GS was introduced it was the first major platform to support OpenGL ES 2.0. This was a huge win for Apple but there was the legacy issue of all those iPod devices that only support OpenGL ES 1.1. I figured at the time it was not a big deal since progress often involves older models being left behind. But...
I agree with your observation about a Kindle size device but the comment about Netbooks is contrary to Apple's deeply held position. You can go all the way back to the Apple ][ versus Commodore 64 days. The price of the Commie 64 kept going down and the number being sold was soaring (much larger than Apple's numbers). The Apple ][ continued to develop while Commodore crashed and burned (a lot of less than compelling detail is being swept under the carpet there). Apple...
Does anyone see a clear reason for the suppression of wifi in the Chinese version of the iPhone? Is it the telecom partner or the Chinese government that objects? It would seem as though there would be almost no point to the iPod touch. Is it currently available in China? I suppose one might infer that there is not much wifi connectivity available in China but that seems hard to believe.
I failed to suppress the pedantic impulse. The apps you get from the App Store have binaries compiled for the ARM architecture cpu. During development the source code is compiled to x86 binaries in order to run in the iPhone simulator on the Mac. You can't actually run your ARM apps in the simulator (there are also issues of cryptographic signing but that is secondary). Your point remains essentially correct that iPhone apps could easily be recompiled for running on x86...
How's this for a new connectivity option: instead of conventional wifi networking Apple could promote mesh wifi. MANET (Mobile Ad Hoc NETworking) is one of the most significant technologies promoted by the OLPC initiative. Every wifi node already has a radio receiver and transmitter but it is always treated as an end node. With software changes it can route packets to other mesh wifi nodes. The prospect for portability and ubiquity of such a device could provide a test bed...
Elgato has a fairly inexpensive x.264 hardware encoding USB device for people who want to do faster conversions. When I buy a DVD or want to watch any of the plethora of DVD's I own on my MBP I have to rip it because the crappy authentication software forced on consumers fails abysmally and doesn't allow the purchased disk to play. So I strip the encryption so I can use Apple's DVD playing app which I find to be quite nifty (except for the CSS code which just plain fails)....
I'm puzzled why you are so agitated. If you are managing a MacDonalds I can see that revenue maximization would require that customers get in, eat, and then clear out so more can be accommodated. But this is a Starbucks which will customarily have many individuals with laptops, buying one coffee after another and enjoying an ambiance that is unmistakably different from MacDonalds. It is certainly more inconvenient for the customer to bring along an iMac but what difference...