or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

I could use some help making sense of this. Apple had a promotion in the education market of including an iPod touch with each iMac sold. I have an iPod touch and I've never paid AT&T a penny. In my case Apple has never charged anything beyond the original $200. Where does your $1500 figure come from?
Microsoft is not just another company like Apple and most other companies that have not been convicted of illegal use of monopoly power. Many (most?) people have no memory of when Microsoft could commercially destroy an innovative new rival. The most famous example being Netscape and the browser. An earlier example was Lotus 123 which included some rhyme about how updates to DOS would not ship until 123 would crash. PenPoint was an innovative OS that Microsoft spent money...
Nice troll. The important innovation in the iPhone is a multitouch interface, not a touch screen. In fact I doubt if any of the imitators have anything more than a touch screen that is a poor implementation of mouse style interface. It is significant that Apple has a new API architecture for multitouch that goes beyond the mouse, window, menu interface analogous to the way the Mac style interface replaced the command line interface that dominated UI before. Apple is a big...
While I wouldn't say it is a very significant point it may be worthwhile to remember that Apple's DRM on Day 1 of iTunes music was a message saying "Please don't steal music". The Fairplay DRM was added later. Day 1 for iTunes was some time before the iTunes Music Store was debuted. That may be the source of the confusion. In any case this story is really about Apple and the industry in general introducing yet another pointless incompatibility which shows a hostility...
First, I did enjoy your little Hollywood story. However to say Mr. Jobs works for Pixar is rather inaccurate. As CEO he was an employee of Pixar but he also owns a major chunk of it*. It became the behemoth it is under his guidance and he first joined the billionaires club as a result of his successful work there rather than at Apple. Also there is nothing at all difficult about duplicating Pixar movies delivered on DVD or Blu-Ray. They're just like any other discs. That...
I can't give anything like real insight because there is so much that is not logical but I can shed some light and point out some facts. This (HDCP) is an encryption protocol for an uncompressed high definition video stream. More to the point who could possibly care since we are years away from consumer equipment that could realistically capture this data? This isn't like the compromise of DVD video copy protection which allowed access to the MPEG compressed data that is...
I wonder why the 2 free hours per day offer is not more widely noticed. You get a Starbucks reward card, register it online and that allows you two free hours per day on your iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook or any other device with a web browser. Is more than two hours really so crucial? You can also have more than one device connected at the same time. Free ubiquitous 24/7 802.11n access without any authorization would be pleasant but I'm quite happy with the reward card...
How many GPS devices use Assisted GPS (A-GPS)? My understanding is that it is limited to cellphone based GPS which is only a fraction of the market. I would much rather have a GPS device that is not associated with a monthly fee to a monopoly (or duopoly) provided service. Don't misunderstand, I think it is fine that such an option (A-GPS) is available. I would just be happier to also have the option for straight GPS without the assist. More choices, more options, more...
I suspect you are exactly right about this. If that is true then Apple is falling victim to the common impulse to avoid cannibalizing its own products. Maybe this will work but it presents an opportunity to Microsoft, RIM, Google and others who have no qualms about taking a bite out of the iPhone market. I'd rather buy (and develop for) an Apple product like this but Apple has to see that the cell phone provider model will be a vestigial market as bandwidth availability...
Stock price tends to be determined by expected future results. Surely you have noticed that a significant part of the economy is in something close to free fall. Tax payers are going to be on the hook for cleaning up a huge mess left behind by the crooks who have privatized gain and socialized loss (hedge funds, securitized mortgage "instruments", etc). Whether you agree with my editorializing or not this might be a serious impediment to sales of higher priced items like...