or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

Face what? I have an iPod touch rather than an iPhone but they are close to being identical. I've never had a gadget that came even close to being such a high quality piece of technology. I'm astonished they can sell something of this quality for $200. The earbuds that come with it are a piece of junk but I've corrected that. Also the Macbook Pro is also easily the best quality computer I've owned or used. I've used plenty of Macs (and others) going back to the original...
What remarkably good news. The rest of us can fulminate and register our disapproval but the FCC might compel Apple to do what Schiller and others already want to do.
I'm confused. Opinions will vary and lead to various choices. I vastly prefer OSX and other Apple products but I still own a PC running XP. I also have XP installed on my MacBook Pro so I can boot it up when I want to (not very often, but it is there). I run across news about Microsoft because it permeates tech news. But I don't seek it out on sites that focus on it. I would consider that a waste of my time. Is there any reason besides knee-jerk trolling to seek out people...
What you are describing there sounds like the sandboxing security feature of mobile OS X. Apps on the iPhone simply do not have transparent access to each others file directories. This is part of a legitimate effort to prevent this new platform from becoming a cesspool of malware unlike what MS attitudes and carelessness lead to in the past.
Let me summarize what a retailer needs to do in the vast majority of cases in order to sell a Mac or related Apple product: present the customer with a box in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure this can be handled at any Walmart location. One of the main selling points of a Mac (or iPod, AppleTV, etc) is that it just works without any need for extensive hand holding. There are still many places (like Tucson) where the only Apple Store is a long drive away and the...
I ask the question because I'm genuinely curious. Could you explain in more detail what "something serious telephony wise" might be? I have my own vague idea of what might be involved but I suspect your angle is probably quite different.
I could use some help making sense of this. Apple had a promotion in the education market of including an iPod touch with each iMac sold. I have an iPod touch and I've never paid AT&T a penny. In my case Apple has never charged anything beyond the original $200. Where does your $1500 figure come from?
Microsoft is not just another company like Apple and most other companies that have not been convicted of illegal use of monopoly power. Many (most?) people have no memory of when Microsoft could commercially destroy an innovative new rival. The most famous example being Netscape and the browser. An earlier example was Lotus 123 which included some rhyme about how updates to DOS would not ship until 123 would crash. PenPoint was an innovative OS that Microsoft spent money...
Nice troll. The important innovation in the iPhone is a multitouch interface, not a touch screen. In fact I doubt if any of the imitators have anything more than a touch screen that is a poor implementation of mouse style interface. It is significant that Apple has a new API architecture for multitouch that goes beyond the mouse, window, menu interface analogous to the way the Mac style interface replaced the command line interface that dominated UI before. Apple is a big...
While I wouldn't say it is a very significant point it may be worthwhile to remember that Apple's DRM on Day 1 of iTunes music was a message saying "Please don't steal music". The Fairplay DRM was added later. Day 1 for iTunes was some time before the iTunes Music Store was debuted. That may be the source of the confusion. In any case this story is really about Apple and the industry in general introducing yet another pointless incompatibility which shows a hostility...