or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

I know there is humor intended, but does anyone expect an Apple TV screen to be touch sensitive? The screen jockeys on news programs have their hands all over those giant screens but they have lackeys available to keep them cleaned.
At the start of the 20th century Argentina was far from being a poor country. The mystery is why its growth did not keep up with North America and Europe. Especially considering Europe suffered devastation in two world wars. I suppose if the government was too corrupt or meddlesome that could be part of the problem. I've never heard a good explanation.
If you ever examined the API's for multitouch on iOS you might understand that stopping at duo-touch means they have not done the heavy lifting required to provide something better than putting lipstick on the pig (single point mouse style interface in this example). When Apple came out with its new OS for the iPhone back in 2007 it was immediately obvious to anyone with access to the API's that this was not a slapped together shell around the old mouse/keyboard UI. Years...
The conversation has lost context at this point. The claim is that Kindle Fire only implements duo-touch rather than multitouch. In the short term it allows Amazon to field a device for the 2011 holiday season but it might be a kludge that inhibits smooth development of more capable devices in the future. This sort of issue was at the heart of what held back the tablet market for over a decade. Merely porting the mouse pointing device to a single touch was a greatly...
It is a computer......deal with it. (see how illuminating that is?) The iPad does not have a mouse driven UI. Until vast amounts of software is redesigned to work with a multitouch UI there will be a false impression that only mouse capable machines can be "real computers". The same phenomenon accompanied the introduction of the Mac back in 1984 when the mouse driven UI was dismissed as a toy. Ironically, even as we go through the disruption of a new interaction model...
Today's Macs ARE NeXT computers. The Mac ended with OS9. OS X is NextStep. When Apple "acquired" NeXT it came with more than just Steve Jobs. The engineering head of software, Avie Tevanian, and the head of hardware, Jon Rubenstein (yes, that Jon Rubenstein), were brought over from NeXT to Apple to manage software and hardware development at Apple. NeXT really was far better than the entrenched products but it was too late in the game to gain real traction. That was only...
Here, I'll give you a clue since you obviously can't buy one. Under the hood the iPad (iPhone and iPod touch) is running BSD Unix. Is that enough of a "real" OS for you? It is a device designed for people who are not interested in launching a bash shell and running vi in order to debug some shell scripts so those aspects are not exposed. But if you "jailbreak" your iOS device you certainly can. There were many aspects of the iPhone and iPad that were huge factors in their...
You just don't have a clue. Of course the initial iPad can and does multitask. If you knew how to look under the hood you would see that dozens of tasks are running at the "same" time. What it didn't and still doesn't do is allow more than one third party app to run. There are hooks that allow audio to run in the background but that was true from the beginning as Apple's "iTunes player" ran in the background since the original launch. That hook was exposed to third parties...
Have you considered reasons why a Kindle device might be a better choice for a person's 61 year old mom? If books were the overwhelming primary use then there really is a case to be made for a Kindle over a more complicated, heavier tablet device. I have an iPad and for reading pdf files it is clearly the better device, but for literary works a 'better' Kindle might be good choice. Weight, size, battery life, 'always' available and free connection to the bookstore are...
It is well worth remembering that similar things were said about Apple's dominance with the iPod. The position would crumble under the onslaught and Apple would be no more than a niche player. Last I read the iPod was about 70% of the market. Phones are mainly sold through carrier stores (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and similarly in foreign markets with their carriers). That is easily a huge factor in why so many Android phones have been sold. The point of this digression is...