or Connect

Posts by sdbryan

Well I haven't been ostracized recently so I'll take the risk here. This is quite unfair to Tallest Skil. First stuffe concluded his initial post with "Nope, I call BS." Hardly a modest question. ThirdPrize explained how the hack worked and stuffe claimed the explanation could not be correct. At that point Tallest Skil pointed to a plist that supported the explanation of ThirdPrize. Nothing more snark than "Guess you're wrong" It degenerated from there but all I read was a...
An important difference is one is an intel Mac running Mac OS X and the other is an iOS device running on an ARM processor. So, for instance, if you need to run a Windows program there is a solution for Mac Mini but not Apple TV. More generally any app that benefits from a mouse/keyboard interface fits on a Mac Mini but not so well on Apple TV.
The move from 3G to 3GS was huge from a hardware standpoint. The graphics chip in the 3GS enabled the use of OpenGL ES 2.0. That is crucial for 3D games and enables much better graphics performance in general. It is only missing in the original iPhone iPhone 3G and first generation iPod touch. That is largely why they aren't invited to the party. There seem to always be new and better sensors but other changes are incremental by comparison to that fundamental change in...
What Sony MP3 player? Sony made portable music players of various types (cassette tape, CD, minidisc) but none that supported cross platform mp3 format. When the first iPod came out the only practical way to get music on it was to rip and compress (usually from CD's). Of course there was the original Napster and similar "services" and Apple talked the record labels into supporting the iTunes music store but Sony stuck to minidisc with their proprietary ATRAC compression...
Perhaps, but there is a damn new iPod touch every year that is clearly more capable (new and/or better sensors, faster graphics, etc). In any case if this survey is accurate the news for MS is more dire than I could imagine. Even the nuclear option (free xBox! vs $100 iTMS gift card) fails to entice. Maybe 80% already have an xBox.
The Macintosh in 1984 could not host its own development system. You had to use a Lisa computer and cross compile.
After the cobwebs clear you realize it is just the largest mobile PC vendor. Inexplicably this plunges you into another coma.
Why, yes, they are quite capable of making phone calls. The iPod touch doesn't have that wonderful option of transferring $100 per month to a politically connected, legacy cellphone carrier. Whenever you have a wifi connection you can use Skype, among many options, for making phone calls on the iPod touch and iPad. Most owners of iPhones and similar devices use telephony only a small fraction of the time. The specially designed internet connected computer is the main...
Apple was bundling an iPod touch not an iPod. There are no iOS Store purchases with a Mac laptop but an iPod touch generates a lot of iOS Store purchases. Also, with a Mac and iPod touch you are recruiting a huge number of iOS developers, especially at colleges that offer iOS development classes (like Stanford). I suppose it is possible Apple hopes to generate more apps for the Mac App Store with marginally fewer developers distracted by the iOS option. There was a...
You may already know this but it is worth noting that client VPN configuration is already built into the Settings app (General -> Network -> VPN) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It is also built into the Network pane of System Preferences for the Mac. There is no command line magic incantation needed to use it. This is not a fringe feature except that only business users usually have servers available. The security problem here is the tendency to "depend on the kindness...