or Connect

Posts by ijoyner

Companies who infringe on patents are not only harming the patent holder, but also all the other companies that are being honest and respecting the patent. They are invisible victims and I can see why they are also upset.
Phones have always been emasculating. I remember visiting people in their office, maybe from miles away, when some guy from one floor up calls on the phone - "Oh, excuse me the important phone is ringing". Five minutes of drivel later, we get back to the point. Certainly, people feel that getting a call on their mobile is important - "Oh, excuse me, I'm so important someone is calling me". Been the case since before smartphones. However, strip away this emasculating part...
I'm not really saying a 'conscious' discount, but where the US is able to negotiate lower prices because of the size of the market, it effectively means money flows from smaller markets to the larger market. Thus Thailand can't match the bargaining power of the US. This has happened in the oil industry. It is an effective subsidy to the US market at the cost of other markets. I'm not saying this is happening in the case of Apple, but raising the question in general.   You...
So who said that? Not me. You and Mr Skil seemed to have been misreading my position and arguing against that. And 'raping' Indians? You should steer clear of emotive language. I didn't say that's what Apple is doing, but pointing out there has been a practice of the US getting lower prices on things like oil from Saudi Arabia. The economics is that money therefore flows from the third world to the US. This was done by the British empire before hand. And who here has 'no...
Namaste Hari,   I agree with most of what you say. Certainly, Apple set a price and then keep it at that level and that is a good thing. It gives consumers some certainty, while others are giving "discounts" here there and everywhere (they're not really discounts are they!). That is typical marketing confusing the consumer. Yes, Apple certainly is better in that regard.   The original point of Salopsism was that only 50% more was a good price for India s/he had seen...
You obviously didn't bother to read those pages. You are denying the evidence with providing no fresh evidence of your own.
Denial does not make it false. I'm not claiming to be an expert. In fact I only posed the questions to begin with. As I have said, it is complex to understand what is going on. As is typical with marketing they try to make things complex so that consumers are at a disadvantage. Denialists will hide behind this complexity.     How it works   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination#International_price_discrimination   Examples in...
I agree. What I am saying is that after these factor are taken into account there is still a price difference in the base price. That is the truth I am trying to get at. Because these pricing structures are complex it means that price discrimination is hidden, and so it is too easy to make this argument that since there is extra tax, all the price difference is due only to tax, but there still is a markup on the base price. This does happen in many products. The US is...
What don't you understand about the concept?   If customer A is paying more for a product than customer B, customer A is effectively subsidising customer B. Or to put it another way, the vendor is taking money from customer A and giving it to customer B. That is happening on a worldwide basis.
Well, it doesn't matter what you or I believe. What matters is the truth.