or Connect

Posts by ijoyner

No it's named after the Burroughs A4 ;-) from its A Series, the later version of the original B5000. The link is very close - Robert (Bob) Barton designed the B5000 and later taught students such as Alan Kay at Uni of Utah. Kay of course started all this Mac and iPad stuff at Xerox and later worked at Apple. His original thinking came up with the Dynabook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook Maybe Barton was the original different thinker of the industry - design...
Jeff, I'll concede it's a subtle point. Users familiar with Mac know it's the equivalent of trash. But imagine a complete computer novice. Recycle bin could mean long-term storage or archive. As a software and concept designer myself, I believe terminology should be more precise, not cutesy. But this is just an example of Microsoft general terminology and confusion of concepts. The basic point is that implementation is visible. The metaphors are mixed. To use Fred P....
You are mixing up the concepts of physical paper and the information printed on it. The paper is the implementation. In computing the bits are the implementation. You should not burden users with implementation concepts. It makes for inconsistency and thus bad designs.
Actually, I should make the point that Microsoft's terminology on recycle bins (like Service Packs) is inconsistent. The problem is working on two levels of abstraction. The low level confuses the higher level because they are mixed. The concepts presented to the user are now confused and complex. That IS the difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple has worked hard (and achieved it very well from the first Mac on) to present a consistent high level interface and...
No, you've still missed the point. The file as an abstraction is far removed from the bits it is stored on. It IS the FILE this operation applies to. The line of thinking is not rigid, just accurate. What should an end user care about the underlying technology their file is stored on? Microsoft continues to make people think at a low level in so many places. Like device ids c: d: h: are still around. This is primitive (and even was so in the 1970s!). Since you miss and...
Microsoft pundits would like to believe Apple's fortunes against MS were due to the ad campaign, thus living in the usual state of denial that Apple makes superior stuff. Secondly, the fact that internally MS people are putting "I'm a PC" stickers on their machines means that MS ads are just corporate breast beating and such ads never make for effective campaigns with customers.
The terminology is a Microsoft hypocritical misnomer. Service Pack makes it sound like software is a physical entity that you need to service to keep it in good working condition, as in change oil in a car, or replace aircraft parts according to the service schedule. Software needs no such maintenance and the suggestion that a responsible user should apply service pack is nonsense. They are updates or patches. The second bit of "rubbish" Microsoft terminology is "recycle...
Hey, Mission Viejo is Burroughs (Unisys) territory. Of course, Bob Barton invented the B5000 in 1963 with the best OS ever, Burroughs MCP (first commercial VM, and still the best, security, first in high-level language - ALGOL - which leaves C in the dust, interrupts, multi processing/programming, etc, etc), which still runs very secure large-scale servers (and small stuff as well). Barton left Burroughs to become a university lecturer, where Alan Kay was one of his...
Where will they find any gurus? If you are an expert in Microsoft stuff, you certainly are not a guru in computing, more an aguru - one who is unenlightened. Here's an original thought for Microsoft, why don't you set up Yogi Bars? Mmmm, perhaps that would be a boo boo too!
I'd hardly call Microsoft an early software pioneer - they were rather late, the foundations of software were well established long before MS came along (same applies to Apple actually) and a copier rather than pioneer.