or Connect

Posts by ijoyner

Absolutely not. Stop trying to "deal with these people" - it's just perpetuating the cycle. The US is hardly blameless in this. Back in the 50s/60s there were calls just to nuke Russia to deal with them. Who are you to judge? It's better to have foreign countries as friends, trade with them, swap ideas and cultures. Sometimes relationships will get rough, but realize that all countries have their spies.   We don't need more Koreas, Vietnams, Afghanistans, Iraqs. Such...
Like Noam Chomsky said - the best way to prevent terrorism is to stop participating in it.   (Sorry should have quoted the original in the first place.)
Like Noam Chomsky said the best way to prevent terrorism is to stop participating in it.
I know what you are saying that compared to current prices it might be good to be only 50% more. But compared to what an average Indian earns, that makes Apple prohibitively expensive. Most of those who can afford this price are probably those that travel overseas anyway and can pick up cheaper deals in other countries. If anything, the price must be less in India.
One thing I realised from philosophical discussions on the weekend and from seeing Lincoln today is that men AREN'T born equal. Equality is a gift you have to give them and sometimes that gift is very costly. It is good to see that Bill is busy giving that to the rest of the world. As for MS - it is still a company with the business model of copying others and putting competition out of business. It inherited that model from IBM. Even in that, Steve Jobs and Apple had...
Looks like my messages here about trying to find Apple in India last year have been heeded. Apart from the excellent Apple shop (not an Apple Store) on MG road in Bangalore (I bought my copy of the Jobs biography there), Apple was hard to find.   Problem is, the Indian market is all little stores, the size of a cupboard, mostly selling the same stuff. That was particularly the case with the electronics market in Madurai. You really have to get your products into the...
Looks like my messages here about trying to find Apple in India last year have been heeded. Apart from the excellent Apple shop (not an Apple Store) on MG road in Bangalore (I bought my copy of the Jobs biography there), Apple was hard to find. Problem is, the Indian market is all little stores, the size of a cupboard, mostly selling the same stuff. That was particularly the case with the electronics market in Madurai. You really have to get your products into the hands...
Last night's QI recorded in 2009 played on ABC in Australia last night pointed out the flaws a SatNav (which is very popular in the UK). It claimed something like 400,000 accidents were put down to Satnav directions (way before iOS maps). Any kind of GPS gives bad directions - often taking you on non-optimal but major highway routes when a minor road will get you straight there. The moral is not to trust everything to satnav/GPS - use your brain. I recently ran both iOS...
Alas, that is not good enough for most consumers. But as a developer I know how you feel, but I think the main part of the blame lies with Java not treating the Mac seriously enough (although this problem is also with Losedows). I still seems to have Java update 11 active on my machine - although the explanatory pages at Oracle about version numbers and updates makes my head hurt... talk about geek talk!
Could this be the same Gabe Newell who I am corresponding with on YouTube over a video comparing Dennis Ritchie with Steve Jobs:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cl270D_Zbo&feature=em-comment_reply_received&lc=7j2EO4n3Opf1NF4x0CGiiuwS9AXM9fTyLxuZRW3UMVg&lch=email_reply   and I had to correct the lies:   Ian Joyner 7 months ago Well, Ritchie invented C which put computers back in the hands of geeks. Jobs fought geeks and 'engineers' to make computers useful...