or Connect

Posts by ijoyner

A good historical lesson. IBM did not get into the PC market for fear of canibalizing mainframe sales of 360 and 34/36/38s. Worrying about current products against the relentless march of technology and believing your company is so powerful is a foolish thing to do.
Hi Ascii I was going to mention that Granny Smith was buried at St Anne's Ryde. I've seen her grave there!
"However, public filings show that last year, for the first time, both Apple and Google spent more on purchasing and litigating patents than research and development of new products." Great the lawyers win again whatever the outcome. Money directed away from mostly underpaid creative people to overpaid legal people. Law is still an absurd practice as Charles Dickens liked to point out.
Typical new-recruit manager. Just change what's working, try to put your own stamp on what's working, trip everyone up, move in your own people to establish your power position.... AND kill the goose that laid the golden egg. If your report is right, show this guy the door immediately. People like him could destroy Apple and all the great work that Jobs did.
Anything in Colaba? I did get Jobs biography there for less than 800/- (about $12) and Inside Apple for 500/- ($10) बहुत सस्ता
/- as in 9,999/-
I was quoting this.   नमसते
Yes very expensive, but at least available. Earlier in the year it was terribly hard to find anything Apple, apart from the Apple shop on MG Road Bangalore. There are of course the very rich Indians who can afford this, but mobile phones are so pervasive and cheap among the poor, that something must be done to address that market as well.   नमसते
That has always been Microsoft's business model - compete with Apple. They inherited even more of it from IBM - compete with and kill every other computer company, even though their product is superior to ours.   Apple's business strategy - let's make great products.   IBM failed, and Microsoft is also failing.   Stories like this on Ballmer just emphasise this difference in business strategy.
    Well, you should not bleat about that too much. The middle east just pump it straight out of the ground. The US pays less per barrel than the rest of the world. Why should you expect the rest of the world to subsidise the US? Then the US subsidises the car and petroleum industries as against public transport, which can be faster, cheaper, and more energy efficient. So your $4/gal is all round a good deal. Car drivers in the US are all round subsidised.   On the...