or Connect

Posts by ijoyner

Funny how in India you can see a photo of the iPhone with the Samsung logo underneath. I wonder if this is the case in other countries.
Not only geeks love complexity, but marketing idiots as well - divide and conquer, sell junk by confusing the marketplace. Apple does not sell junk ('we don't do cheap') so the natural outcome of that is a simplified product range and naming scheme. One thing I teach computing students is that much of computing is about handling complexity and thus bringing about the KISS principle. Paradoxically, simplicity might look easy to bring about, but in fact it is more difficult...
Oh, plenty of people can afford the iPhone in India, but there are plenty of rich people in India... but overwhelmingly more poor people who could never afford such a phone. People do think iPhone is cool though. When I got out my iPad, people would look at it very interestedly. You seem to be an Android fan, but Android is weird and I think gives into the geeks. One of the basic things is the Dalvik VM, and that has programmer-accessible registers. Did the guys that...
I just spent two months in India. Buying any Apple products there is hard. Bangalore has an excellent iStore on MG road (near the Barton Centre, which I found was not named after Bob Barton, the original think different designer of the Burroughs B5000). India has quite a different paradigm at the opposite end of Apple Stores. People like going to these little hole-in-the-wall places. It is capitalism and freedom in the extreme, and sometimes unpleasantly so without...
I'm to be convinced that we have quality programmers in any parts of the world in sufficient numbers. Lots of code is written in C++, which is one of the worst programming languages ever invented. In fact, still too much low-level C code exists. Objective-C is the best version of C, but even that is still hampered by C roots. Still programmers hang on to these stone-age C-based tools (which is an assembler dressed in HLL syntax). We need more programmers trained in...
I have just returned from India and buying Apple products in India is pretty much impossible. The only Apple store of note was the excellent iStore in Bangalore. They did not have the iPad camera connection kit I was after, but I did buy Isaacson's Jobs' biography for 800 rs ($16). (A store in Mumbai was selling them for $13, and not the fake 400 rs versions either.) Apple stores are of course great, but India seems to have a completely different outlet system. I tried...
In the west, we want inexpensive products, but we also want high wages. The desire for inexpensive products means we must use whatever labour force provides the cheapest production. Oh well
Microsoft has only ever produced things in response to competition. That's why their business model is so wrong and bound to fail. Companies with technology and quality focus are now starting to cut through and win. And don't compare things to rape - that's offensive.
"it's over" just about sums it up for Microsoft.
And who are you to judge? Take the log out of your own eye first.