or Connect

Posts by Luca

Also don't forget that you can get refurbished Macs for pretty cheap. Refurbished dual 1.8 GHz and dual 2.0 GHz PowerMacs are $1999 and $2399 respectively. If you wait until after the new G5s come out, you can probably get a previous generation dual 2.0 GHz for under $2000, either refurbished or from someone upgrading to the new top-of-the-line. I wonder if I'll ever buy a new Mac again, given the excellent pricing on older ones. Face it, four years from now, it won't...
That is a very old mod... http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35270 This one is a bit newer: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=40961 Slot-loading iMac in a custom-designed miniature G5 tower case.
If you NEED it to last four years, a PowerMac is the way to go. But I would suggest not getting the current low-end, because it is held back by the fewer RAM slots and the lack of PCI-X. It's not a BAD computer per se, but it's not that good either. I have a dual 450, originally released in mid-2000, that still runs great. Until about a month ago when I upgraded the processor, it only had RAM, hard drive, and video card upgrades, all of which are easy on any...
Well, yes, an iSub would help, but the speakers are still inside the eMac and might still cause distortion. Has anyone actually tried this? I'm curious - normally I'd say just buy a $40 speaker set instead of a $40 iSub, but maybe it'll work fine.
Yes, but history has shown us that Apple is opposed to putting dual processors on their low end machine. At least the PowerMac has a number of advantages over the iMac other than the number of processors. The problem is when the low end PowerMac is not that different from the higher end ones. The dual 867 was nearly as good as the dual 1 GHz, but it cost nearly $1000 less.
The eMac speakers will only be good when they're set to a low volume. As soon as your music gets medium-loud, they'll make the screen get all wavy. They're really only good if you have to move the eMac from place to place - in that case, having internal speakers is very nice so you don't have to haul your speakers around wherever you go. But if you want loud music, get a set of external speakers. I've heard good things about the Logitech Z-340s. Cheap, but good.
Uh.... no? The iBook will NOT give him a "substantial degree of power." Unfortunately, the cheapest good G5 (dual 1.8 GHz) is CA$3200, even with educational discount. The single 1.6 GHz is kind of dumb, and you'd be better off with the dual 1.25 GHz G4. If you want a laptop, a 15" 1.33 GHz PowerBook would just fit in your budget with the edu discount, but the 12" would give you a lot more room to move. Neither one will be that powerful compared to the PowerMac G4...
"Hey, Chris, have you got the digital interweb calibration settings on this here camera corrected properly? How do I work this thing? *SNAP* Okay, this one looks pretty good there... hey, where'd it go!? By golly... well you kids are late, better get going, hopefully the one picture I took turned out." I can just see your father/uncle/grandfather/well meaning but technologically hopeless older male relative doing something like this around then. Despite the...
That's easy. I am very pessimistic about the iMac. Since it got that first price hike shortly after its introduction, it has been crappy. Ther have only been two major updates since the beginning of 2002. They brought the iMac from 800 MHz to 1.25 GHz, a mere 56% increase. The iBooks have had five since that same time, which have brought them from 600 MHz on the high end to 1.2 GHz on the high end (100% increase). PowerBooks have gone from 667 MHz to 1.5 GHz in four...
DELETED!