or Connect

Posts by Mac+

And whilst on this topic of odd meters: Q. How many post modern composers (avant gardé musicians) does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A. 7 ... in the time of 13.
Good pick up craze. Also, if anybody else is interested in odd metered music check out some Zappa or more recently, Dream Theater. and LTE. Some of this stuff still baffles me! I though i could count - but I'm sure I'm missing something on a couple of their tunes!
Yeah - I'll give you that... I think I was just wearing my pedantic muso hat when I made that comment.that was just me being a smart a*se Absolutely - that's the great thing about all good art I guess... on the surface it is accessible to the audience on their own individual level - but when they go deeper into it, the rewards are there also. I'm sure the same could be argued for the coding and UI design of a certain computer manufacturer's OS as well.
OK ... here's some further MUSIC MATHS data. *I am not an expert on this stuff - just putting it out there for those that are interested* Code: INTERVAL overtone ratios Unison 1:1 (1/1) Octave 1:2 (2/1, 6/3, 8/4) Fifth 2:3 (3/2, 6/4) Fourth 3:4 (4/3, 8,6) Maj 3rd 4:5 (5/4, 10/8 ) min 3rd 5:6 (6/5, 12/10) Maj 6th 3:5 (5/3, 10/6) min 6th 5:8 (8/5, 16/10) tone 8:9 or 9:10 - a tone can have two...
OK - I've gone back to some old notes of mine and this is what I found: The equal tempered scale is divided into 12 equal parts (as discovered above). Mathematically this is the 12th root of 2 (let's say: 1.059463). To get the next semitone you multiply the previous harmonic by the 12th root of 2 (b/c that is equal temperament). For example: to find A# (a semitone above A 440Hz) is 440 * 1.059643 = 460.143 Hz (which is the fundamental frequency of the note A# (or...
I'm *defineitely* not an expert on tuning temperaments or just intonation, but I think that the current Western tuning system also has a bit to do with summation and difference tones interacting, so that notes can be in harmony with each other when certain intervals are played. I think that is why the major 3rd is pitched slightly flatter(?) than it would be if we used just intonation. Somebody help me out here.
Nice work Noleli2 As for the use of 12... there are 12 semitones per octave - you sort of figured that out yourself!
^ That comment about dancers not being concerned with counting as accurately as musicians may be true - but I'm sort of at a loss to really understand how a dancer - for whom the interpretation of rhythm and melody should be a rudiment of their craft - can mistake TAKE 5 for a waltz. I mean, c'mon - it's called TAKE 5 not "Waltz for half a bar and then waltz more quickly for the other half of the bar!" [EDIT: typos - hate 'em]
[nostalgia] going back to System 7 here folks... I seem to remember an old HyperCard stack that had a pizza making guy on it. You could drag different combinations of toppings onto your base and then compare the prices between different pizza houses. Then you just clicked on a phone number and it started to dial from your modem. I never used it b/c it was a US thing ... but the Hypercard stack was pretty cool - and a nice novelty idea to demonstrate the power of...
crazychester - Great call! That series was fantastic! Do you know whether it is possible to purchase it on DVD?