or Connect

Posts by bwik

Well Mac Excel 2008 is such a laughably sub-par program, so far below Excel 1997 literally, that no corporation's finance dept could ever use the Mac platform. This is obviously MS's intention, of course.
Pretty interesting. Apple might run dry for a whole month to flush out all inventory. I dunno. Sounds a little risky, but most buyers are likely to wait patiently. So it shouldn't sacrifice too many sales. Only Apple is strong enough to keep people loyal even with no product to sell
Downloaded Safari 3.1... unfortunately, Apple has still not included a functioning "QUIT" command to exit the program. Instead, if you have more than 3 tabs, or the browser has been open, Safari hangs. It can't quit. You can close windows individually, and then quit. But it cannot quit by itself, even in 30 minutes. I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz with 2GB RAM. When I need to exit Safari, personally I just force quit it. Trying to quit for real only works 30% of...
The entire world is sharing .doc files without issues???? Every job interview I had in the early 2000s, I would see my .doc Resume printed out in front of them. Always messed up. 2 pages instead of 1 page, etc. In the corporate world inside a company, usually you can depend on Word formats (not always as I already said). But complex Excel will lose its formatting all the time. .pdf is the only good output option there. These days, I only do my CV in .pdf form. It is...
I grant your point that NeoOffice can be a pain. But its Excel is largely a clone of the real Excel... menu item for menu item. As for being dog-slow, it is... if your computer is old. For me it's not a problem.As for "sharing Office documents...'Come on...joking right? Office documents can't travel 50 feet inside the same company without the formatting going to sh**. Plus the viruses issue. You can't even mail .doc files through Google; ring a bell? My email...
I just got an Office 2008 license as a student. Basically it is inferior to NeoOffice, and also iWork 08 (which I have). Word is OK, and thank goodness the Equation Editor is included (which I use constanty). EXCEPT WHEN WORD SAYS MY DISK IS FULL. THis is a very frequent error. During which I CAN'T SAVE MY EQUATIONS. SO MY WORK GETS LOST. Like 1988 all over again. Moving on, Excel 2008 is a complete joke. No Equation Solver. No VBR. NO MACROS!!!!!!! NO MACROS,...
Well first of all my cicle count is at 174, battery health "good." 4213 ah full charge capacity. I find that running Safari, Parallels, Windows XP, SAS, Adium, Transmission, etc requires the machine to use roughly 50% CPU power, with hard drive spinning and Wifi working (what good is a MBP without wifi anyway LOL) Using the machine at around 50% power, it will drain in about 90 minutes. It just did so again. It's simple physics. These machines use 4,200 mah in under 2...
5 hours. LOL. My 2.33 ghz MBP has NEVER gotten 3 hours. Not once. The typical operating time is 2 hours. 1.5, if things are heavy. That's on a new (<1 year old) machine in typical "power user" tasks... such as web browsing, iTunes, and obviously using some backlight as well, in order to see properly. 5 hours is a complete load of crap. Nowhere near reality.
Is there something wrong with the iMac for enterprise? Most enterprise workstations (>99%) are stock machines with simple video, modest ram, word processing/email/Excel and that's it. 99%. iMac can handle that. The iMac is no server but as a node, it is one of the best. About this event.... I really think Apple should focus on the TV appliance market. Go deep.
Heh... Time Machine is just so complicated it was bound to have a thousand bugs. It is so revolutionary and advanced a concept. It can't be battle hardened for at least a year, I say. It will be a neat curiosity after 10.5.2 though. So far, I did not turn it on.