or Connect

Posts by bwik

Don't get me wrong I think MSFT longevity is positively incredible already. Maybe they truly are gods. But if not, they need to develop some sort of product in the post-1990s era. Vista is a nice OS with onerous legal and cost aspects to it. Therefore it is not a very good product IMO. The real risk to MSFT is that robust freeware can supplant it. After all, its software is not so amazing. It is a pain to switch to OpenOffice at the enterprise level, but in 5...
I rode AAPL big time and sold some over the new year (for tax reasons, oddly). Meanwhile I bought some other assets, but I am thinking of moving back into AAPL while it's in the $80s. It really should be cracking $100 once the new ipod comes out and peoples minds explode yet again over its beauty. The analysts quoted above are overstating the risks. Most companies have far greater risks than Apple Computer, Inc. If you want to talk about long-term risk, we need...
Yeah, one solution is to pay everybody a "justified" portion of the assets and dissolve the program. Just because teachers set up a retirement program for themselves and are 8 billion in the hole does not mean it's society's problem. I could write an IOU to my buddy and say I owe 2 billion dollars to him. Once I go broke, it's not society's problem. Unless I am a teacher pension organization. Then suddenly, the public gets their taxes raised. It is too bad. But...
Steve wasn't talking about teachers in general. He was talking about a vast power structure that is crippling school budgets, flexibility and effectiveness. The NEA union is a vast and powerful entity that wields big political and financial power. It causes harm to kids. Imagine if doctors had such a union. People would die a lot more often. Not because doctors aren't nice people, but because their union would get in the way of hospitals. Unions kill productivity in...
Heh, I changed the end of my post but right on, thanks. About teacher salary discussions, don't forget the typical excellent health care and defined-benefit (often inflation protected) retirement benefits. These benefits are the reason why airlines declared bankruptcy and automakers may also. The old fashioned union structure is severely outdated now. Since public schools can't file for bankruptcy, their costs simply rise and they have "budget crunches." This is...
Steve is totally 100% right. From an outside perspective, the arrangement of USA public schools in INSANE and WRONG and HURTS CHILDREN. America is a rich country. We spend a lot of money on education. Personally, I went to a private school that cost $10k per year. Guess what, public schools ALSO cost $10k per year. I can tell you, my private school was wonderful. The teachers loved it. They were nonunion. The kids were happy, we had tons of supplies and the school...