or Connect

Posts by zorinlynx

There is a WONDERFUL utility called Max that lets you transcode FLAC into ALAC (Apple Lossless), well, losslessly. It even does multiple files in parallel for amazing speed, and preserves all the metadata. This is free, open source, and amazing. Check it out.http://sbooth.org/Max/
That's just it; it doesn't HAVE to pay royalties on anything. Firefox is perfectly free to hook into Quicktime (Mac OS X), DirectShow (Microsoft Windows), or gstreamer (Linux/UNIX systems) to get access to codecs already installed and licensed on the operating system. They really should have made this an option rather than crippling h.264 video in Firefox entirely. I am quite disappointed in Mozilla for this. Sigh.
This is why we need more competition in the US. UK folks get such awesome mobile phone deals.
I have a Palm Pre, and it has one major thing that I wish they would add to the iPhone: Integrated messaging. From one application, you can SMS and IM, on several IM networks. Out of the box the iPhone can only text. Not everyone I message from my phone is on text! Integrated messaging is what attracted me to the Pre. Why the heck can't Apple implement this? This is the feature I'd miss most if I went from the Pre to the iPhone. I like most things about the Pre; the OS...
We really need judges to issue massive smackdown on these "companies" (I use the term loosely; these companies seem to be created to do nothing but leech on industries that actually MAKE stuff). You know, the sort of smackdown that not only bankrupts the company, but brings charges against the owners for abusing the patent system. Once this happens a few times, we'll see these trolls go away, as the personal risk will be too high to be worthwhile. These troll...
New York is a nightmare for cel phones of all networks. Lots of tall buildings cause multi-path and weak signals which play havoc with cel reception. I have a Palm Pre and had all sorts of issues in Manhattan on Sprint. Rock solid reception everywhere else including my home town of Miami. So it's not just an AT&T problem; it's a New York problem. I hear Verizon is best in NYC, since it's the ILEC and they probably have the greatest investment there. But New York,...
Cameras have gotten so small and concealable that having any expectation of privacy in a room with many other people is pretty foolish. Is it that hard to go to the gym near the end of the day, so you can just go home to shower? That's what I used to do when I went to a public gym. Of course I had to start finding a way to work out at home because it felt like I was bringing home a new cold virus from the gym every few weeks. :P
AT&T: Go to hell, really. Invest in your network. Solve the bandwidth crunch, rather than degrade the service for your customers who are already paying very large monthly bills for your service. I have no sympathy. Your network being slow is not because of "over-usage" or "abuse". It's because you've refused to invest in it. There's a reason why Sprint and Verizon's data networks totally waste AT&T's: They have invested in their infrastructure. Sprint and Verizon...
It's not just cel service where AT&T is failing. AT&T bought out Bellsouth, my local DSL provider. I've already had three outages this month; they seem incompetent and unable to fix the problem right. I may have to bail and move over to Comcast. AT&T destroys everything they touch. Apple would do right to bring the iPhone to Sprint and Verizon once their exclusivity contract runs out. Of course, they probably won't. I've been happy with my Palm Pre so far; it's a...
The whole concept of charging for celphone minutes is outdated, really. Cel service should be transitioned into flat rate data, with everything going over IP. They can make money off it; look how inexpensive unlimited minutes plans are now. And I bet the companies would save some money too from not having to meter calls anymore. Of course, you can't do this with pre-paid services, but those are in another boat anyway.