or Connect

Posts by Frank777

From Marvin's post in the Retina MacBook Pro thread: Broadwell is quite impressive. So I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's too soon to say they'll skip Broadwell for Skylake.
 I'm sorry, that's insane. This is a machine for switchers. Telling people new to the platform to sell their new machine and buy a different one is an exercise in business failure. Apple's going to have to up the base RAM in the Mini to 8GB as soon as they can. It's obvious the Mini offerings (like the rest of the Mac line) are meant to push people toward the higher tier. But this is the budget machine, it's not like the rest of the line.It's for the budget-conscious and...
I think this means the next update will be next Summer - Skylake, Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1.   Broadwell was more about power savings anyway, which isn't as critical in an iMac. Right?   As usual, buy it now if you need it now.
Cute. Yeah they definitely need to get an handle on the issue. Maybe debut a second OS directed at Mac and Linux switchers that breaks with traditional Windows code and isn't as susceptible to the multitude of Windows viruses. I have no idea whether that would work commercially, but no sane Mac switcher is going back to worrying daily about thousands of PC viruses. I like Mac OS X, but having a real choice would be nice. When Apple is unchallenged, things get crazy bad...
There's no need to go this far. Mac OS X is great, but saying everything else is garbage is...well, garbage. Microsoft's biggest problem is that they've never gotten a handle of the virus issue. They seem to think they have a usability problem. Mac users who have been freed from dealing with Windows viruses (and macros, etc.), won't ever go back to that.
 Absolutely. Someone buying a basic Mini to test the Mac experience will come away saying that the Mac is an underpowered toy. When you say to them that they need more RAM but can't add memory to their machine, they're going to hate it even more. How does this help in the fight to get PC users to switch?  Yes.  Yep. This is the crux of the problem. If adding DIMMs negatively affects system performance, why can you add memory to the higher end of the line, where performance...
 Probably just me. The other parts of the line are all capable, but cost-prohibitive for many projects. Also, the cost and form factor lends itself to integrating the unit into other systems far better than an iMac or MacBook Pro would.
Nonsense. It's a real issue. We've all known that the Mini is the computer Apple hates. That's fine, but what Apple's done this time is to kill the soul of the machine. The Mini is the hobbyist machine. It's the only part of the Mac line that you can modify to run billboards, in-car systems, trade show booths, security systems, concert lighting, business servers, telephone systems and whatever else your mind dreams up. It's the Hypercard of Mac hardware. Contrary to many,...
It's here!
 I think that the Pro is Apple's technology showcase, and won't be updated until mid-2015 when Thunderbolt 3 is ready to go.