or Connect

Posts by Frank777

And where are you planning on purchasing the software to run on this non-Intel Mac?
  I'll go further than that. I believe we're going to see TWO Thunderbolt displays this fall. I think we'll see an 8K version of the iMac/Thunderbolt Display in the 28"-32" range, and a 4K iMac/Thunderbolt Display in the 21"-24" range.
That does sound like a good plan. I've personally always struggled with going the external RAID option. Never really understood the RAID thing and never preferred my hard drive with all my files being left so vulnerable to theft. (Must go back to my time in a cubicle, when office supplies (even chairs) suddenly became community property.) And yes, I do understand an iMac is just as vulnerable to theft. I'm irrational, okay? Truth be told, I like having the hard drive be a...
One thing is certain. If Apple elected to release MacBook Pro and iMac updates within 2 weeks of WWDC, they must be really confident that whatever they are going to announce at WWDC will go over very well.
I guess so. I've never used a Mac Pro, but if you can remove the SSD stick and put it into another machine or expansion box, it would qualify as an immediate hard drive replacement. Right?
 Of course I have a backup, actually two. But if you reinstall your Time Machine backup onto your laptop and use it for a week, when your new machine comes back you have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything again. That's complicated, risky, and takes a lot of time (at least the last time I reinstalled a TM backup it was.) Conversely, you used to be able to open the iMac, remove the hard drive and go about your business. Bam, you're back at work. His point was...
Yes, but he has a point. Apple recalled the iMacs a couple years ago and I lost mine for six days. For a creative professional, that's a frustrating experience. Even if you have a backup machine to check the web and email, all your files are on the iMac. Ideally there'd be a low end version of the Mac Pro and a 27" screen to cure this problem, but so far not.
No, I think SDW's right. If Skylake was coming this year, we'd have Thunderbolt 3 leaks by now. If Apple updates the MacBook Pro this month and then launches a brand new form factor with Skylake, Thunderbolt 3 and wireless charging in October, Pro users will complain loudly. My guess is that if an update happens, it means Apple sees the next major revision happening in 2016.
Hopefully both machines will move to USB-C, allowing the peripherals market to move fully towards the new spec. Unfortunately, Apple's probably going to keep USB-C at the Rev. 1 speed, since these machines will likely also retain Thunderbolt 2.   Thunderbolt 3 won't arrive till Skylake, likely next year.
But the point is that Thunderbolt 3 is tied to Skylake, isn't it? No Skylake, no TB3. No TB3, no USB 3.1 Gen 2.