or Connect

Posts by 11thIndian

If Apple is going to hold an event, it will be for the iPad, not for 4.3. The iPad2 may SHIP with 4.3- which could contain some specific minor features, but I'd bet heavily against it being a key part of the event. Why? Because iOS 5 is just around the corner. Let's look at the past 3 years: iPhone OS SDK Preview Event, MARCH 6, 2008 OS 3.0 Preview Event, MARCH 17, 2009 OS 4.0 Preview Event, APRIL 8, 2010 We aren't far off from this years iOS 5 Preview for...
Those are COMPLETELY different aspects of post. The last thing picture editors want is their tool cluttered with high end compositing features, and the last thing anyone would use for basic cutting is Nuke. Are you crazy?
They may be giving up 30% of revenue at the point of sale, but think of all the things they're saving on: packaging, shipping, advertising. When you buy a product in the store, do you really think that the company that made it is getting 100% of that retail price? As to your second point- let's be clear, you're not going to see apps like CS Suite, Final Cut Studio or 3D Studio Max on the appStore. Inherently, these expensive software packages are LARGE installs...
The proverbial "you" that is. I find it interesting that so many here have criticized the implementation the new more iOS style features as being useless, since they don't work for them. In fact, I think the interesting thing about these ideas is that they're totally voluntary. If you don't want to use mission control- DON'T. If you don't want to buy apps through the appStore- DON'T. If launchpad seems like a Mickey Mouse way to view your applications- DON'T USE...
I don't. I think they can work well together. Perhaps a Hulu+ subscription and iTunes to fill in the gaps is all I need. Or maybe it's Netflix and ABC. Maybe someone never buys anything from iTunes. Apple still makes money on the hardware.
Sure. Your usage may vary depending on how much TV you watch. If you watch a lot, then a subscription service may be the way to go. But the blanket statement made above is just silly. I only have 5 shows I watch with any regularity right now. And I don't graze TV when I'm bored. So a pay per use model lets me only pay for the content I want, and watch it when I want to is great. And you know what, that's gonna cost me a LOT less than my current cable package. I wish...
Some people want a subscription service, and some people won't. If you take Apple at their word that the whole iTunes and appStore architecture is primarily a driver for hardware, then why wouldn't apple provide a product which allows people to access content in whatever way works for them? Doesn't the value proposition for the appleTV increase exponentially if you can get content from iTunes, Hulu+, Netflix, ABC app, etc., etc...?
How is it a horrendous deal? If I can skip cable and only rent the shows I want to watch, I guarantee you I'll be coming out ahead of someone who's subscribing to HD digital cable or satellite service with a HD PVR. And I get little to no repeat viewing out of the TV I watch, so why would I want to spend more just to archive data I don't want? Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone.
Yeah, but you have to figure into that argument that if someone only wants one or two songs off a CD, will they buy the whole thing. I would never buy a whole CD on impulse from a single track, but I have bought single songs from iTunes. So are they gaining or loosing?
Apple is never going to satisfy a certain segment of the market. They're happy grazing endless channels, and think anything less is a rip-off. People have had all this content flung at them for decades, and now they think they need it, where I'd wager most people never watch half of the channels included in their cable package. To have access to what Apple is providing here, which is on-demand movies & tv shows, in SD and HD- to have that option with traditional cable...