or Connect

Posts by 11thIndian

Yeah, but you have to figure into that argument that if someone only wants one or two songs off a CD, will they buy the whole thing. I would never buy a whole CD on impulse from a single track, but I have bought single songs from iTunes. So are they gaining or loosing?
Apple is never going to satisfy a certain segment of the market. They're happy grazing endless channels, and think anything less is a rip-off. People have had all this content flung at them for decades, and now they think they need it, where I'd wager most people never watch half of the channels included in their cable package. To have access to what Apple is providing here, which is on-demand movies & tv shows, in SD and HD- to have that option with traditional cable...
This is welcome, but not unexpected. The last two OS previews were held on March 6th and 17th respectively, so Apple is running behind schedule, but it's no mystery as to why. But it's a good sign this is happening so quickly. If the new iPhone hardware comes out in it's usual timeframe, developers have 4 months instead of 5 to recode and rebuild for the new OS. Very exciting.
I'm sure we'll see. Apple wasn't too lazy, they understood the product they were making. Sales for the iPad are going to come from two groups: •those who want simple computing and will use iPad exactly as sold and advertised. • those who see the promise in the form factor, and will push the boundaries of it's productivity potential. iWork proves it's possible to do productivity software on this "crippled" OS just fine, the key is that you can't just take desktop...
Considering Apple's stance up to now that battery life supersedes the need for multi-tasking, I think we can safely assume they're not going to do a 180 and let people run their batteries into the ground whilly-nilly. There may even be a System Preferences selection for enabling/disabling multi-tasking dependant on whether you feel you need it or not, and whether you're willing to take the battery hit. It would seem to me that all apps fall into certain categories. ...
This is really interesting. To a certain extent, I think they naysayers are right, that people don't know what they're getting. They THINK they know what they're getting, you can look at the videos and the demos, but you'll never know how you're going to use any product day to day until you've have it for a while. A neighbour is pickup up two on Saturday, and I'll have mine in my hot little hands on Sunday. Personally, I'm imagining that it will function as the...
No one product/solution works for every situation- Ultimately it will be up to developers [Apple or others] to create applications that work for a market and situation. Out of the box, the tablet is not going to solve everyones problems and do what everyone wants it to do- it can't. But with the success of the appStore, developers will jump in with both feet where they see opportunity. And there will be more than one application for some uses, which is great. Cause if...
Definitely. If apple doesn't do it itself as an adjunct to their own pro applications, third parties will rush in to fill the void. Basically I think we both imagine the Slate as a production assistant, rather than a production tool in the strictest sense. And that's fine. As the power and performance on this form factor matures, the question of whether a tablet is better or worse for full editing/sound/whatever duties will sort itself out. I started editing with film,...
I have much the same thoughts from a film production standpoint. Considering someone has made a video editing tool for the iPhone [which is nuts, really!]- it's going to be a measure easier to use video editing on a 10-11" tablet. That said- I don't think the tablet in this form factor wants or needs to be a standalone editing platform. Unless you're working in the very low end, no one is going to be finishing a project on a tablet like this. I think it can meet the...
I've been thinking the same thing. But something to consider though... a tablet sitting on a desk is exactly the same as a sheet of paper sitting on a desk. I wonder if the separation of monitor and input device since the computers inception has created the false impression that hands on desk while looking forward is the natural way to work. In fact, the computer is the FIRST method of writing which dictated this separation of where to look and where your hands are. ...