or Connect

Posts by 11thIndian

I have much the same thoughts from a film production standpoint. Considering someone has made a video editing tool for the iPhone [which is nuts, really!]- it's going to be a measure easier to use video editing on a 10-11" tablet. That said- I don't think the tablet in this form factor wants or needs to be a standalone editing platform. Unless you're working in the very low end, no one is going to be finishing a project on a tablet like this. I think it can meet the...
I've been thinking the same thing. But something to consider though... a tablet sitting on a desk is exactly the same as a sheet of paper sitting on a desk. I wonder if the separation of monitor and input device since the computers inception has created the false impression that hands on desk while looking forward is the natural way to work. In fact, the computer is the FIRST method of writing which dictated this separation of where to look and where your hands are. ...
It's inevitable that the tablet will cross markets and usage line with both the iPhone/iPod Touch and Laptop markets, and there will be cannibalization in any number of directions, but is this a bad thing? You don't hear Apple complaining that the iPhone is stealing iPod sales- of course not, because it's an upsell for Apple. The iPhone is a compromise in many practical ways, but it's advantage is it's portability- and some people will absolutely compromise on the...
While I agree that aTV doesn't serve the needs of live sports or news broadcast, I think DVR functionality is incompatible with the aTV mandate of pushing iTunes content. In terms of purchased content I personally use aTV for movie rentals exclusively- and that's made it worthwhile for me. TV content won't be as attractive until it has either a rental price or subscription model. I'm less inclined to re-watch a TV show even more than a movie- so "purchasing" TV shows...
I'm not sure you're looking at it the right way. Apple is talking about changing the way people read. Let's set aside the fact that it will be a music player, internet browser, movie player, and via bluetooth headset, a phone- at a 10" screen size it will be much more enjoyable to use. If that were all it was, you're right- it might sell moderately well to the faithful. But let's be honest, the iPhone and other mobile devices, by their nature, are pocket sized and not...
Believe it or not, there is still a business to selling quality content beyond what is available for free on the web. It amazes me to the extent that this attitude of all intellectual property should be available for "free" is. If someone has a vested interest in something, they will pay for quality reporting. The advantage for magazines and newspapers is being able to eliminate hard production costs. It would be interesting to know how much of the cost of a magazine or...
I love AppleTV for movie viewing, and my only issue is that if studios want the system to take off [and they might not], the digital rentals need to be available the same day as store rentals- none of this one month "buy only" crap. If someone wants to watch something, they're not going to wait a month and they're not going to just "buy it" instead of waiting. Rentals need to be day and date the same as DVD counterparts. The only other thing that burns my britches is...
Something that's been brewing in my mind over the weekend. I know there's been a lot of talk regarding alternate versions of the iphone, most specifically the nano. Now, I've never been a proponent of these alternate form factors, as any smaller and the screen becomes very difficult to use and read, and much larger and it's cumbersome to hold and use as a phone. Now, I don't think I've read anywhere that people are imagining that this iTablet device would be a phone,...
I agree completely that the required 3 year contract term is unreasonable. But what I'm paying per month for the level of phone I have with the plan that I have is not [in comparison to other Rogers plans]. So I just put the term contract out of my mind. What other choice do I have? For me, the switch was easy. A no-contract BASIC phone with Bell was costing me about as much as I'm paying for my iPhone now with Fido.
I agree that the 3 year term contract is excessive in principal. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately Rogers holds all the cards on that one. If there were another carrier that could sell the iPhone perhaps things would have been different.I do have to call you out on your issue of the rates however. It bothers me to hear people throwing out those multi thousand dollar numbers like that's how much your paying for the phone, because you're not. That's how much...