or Connect

Posts by 11thIndian

Well, that's just what the article is saying. Rogers new rates ARE now in line with a potential iPhone launch. I think Rogers just blinked.
The ONLY reason I can imagine that people might want to have HD material on their iPod is if they're using it as a player to view the material via component on a HDTV that doesn't have an aTV. For instance at the cottage or a friends place. I took my iPod with several movies on a vacation recently to play on the hotel TV. But if the component out on all iPods/iPhone don't allow for HD out, then there's no point at all.
Am I crazy? I've just rewatched the keynote section on aTV and the part with Jobs moving a movie file from aTV to another device is gone. Has it been edited out?
I agree with solipsism, you CAN view your DVD movies on aTV by ripping them. You don't have to pay anything. If you choose, you can rent content, which is an entirely sensible thing to do. But it's not mandatory. Apple is offering an alternative to DVD rental, which I think is the ultimate goal. In the end, I think for now the people who are going to stick with the disk formats are either those who want to pay little to nothing (Torrents, Netflix, Redbox devotees) for...
Yes. I'm trying to figure this out as well. Steve showed copying a rented movie over to an iPod, didn't he? Here are some specific questions I have coming out of the presentation... 1. Can you only rent HD movies through aTV, or can you do it Through iTunes as well (though I personally don't know why you'd want to) 2. Can you still pull content from iTunes libraries? If the answer is "yes", then people CAN rip DVDs they want and view them through the aTV. I...
I agree with you that the quality needs to improve, but I don't think it's a rip-off. When I rent a movie, it costs around $3 and I watch it. When I rent it. I get people throwing out all sorts of different scenarios for why the time could be longer, but really... 24 hours to watch a 2 hour movie is not unreasonable. IF that's the scenario. Which we don't know for sure yet. But if DVD quality movies at 3.99 for 24 hours is the proposition, it will be enough for me to...
Isn't that what I said? Uncompressed HD (248.58 MBytes/sec) at uncompressed SD data Rates (27.97 MBytes/sec). Though I think the parallel I'm looking for is H264 HD at H264 SD data rate.
I can't help thinking about the poster who mentioned on these boards some time ago that they'd heard that Apple would be leveraging the technology behind ProRes422 to deliver better material at lower data rates to consumers. In the Pro market, Apple's pitch at NAB was that ProRes422 delivers uncompressed HD at uncompressed SD data rates- that represents a huge drop in file size!. If this is the case, then Apple may be developing a "smarter" encoder in order to deliver HD...
I suppose what I say is more true for a sales vs rental market. And I totally agree that 90% of the market is has no interest in special features. Perhaps I'm more interested in Apple undercutting the illegal download market by offering convenience and quality at a great price. I as well hope this service is day and date launched in Canada, though I share your doubt. Though one hopes that TV shows on iTunes is a hopeful sign of things to come. Without move rentals, I'm...
I dunno. I think $3-4 is a bit steep for a virtual rental. That's what people pay for physical movie rentals, and you get all the extras included on the DVD. I think a $1.99 price point would make it an exceedingly attractive proposition for everyone except the most ardent torrent downloaders. Oh, and they really need to start making movie downloads HD. Even 720 would make most people happy, as probably 80+% of the market are not running 1080 TV's anyways.