or Connect

Posts by 11thIndian

Funny... that's what I'd always understood. The ability to play ProRes422HQ files from relatively low speed Firewire storage was only possible because the processor was taking up the slack. But this article from 2007 does seem to agree with you:http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...eo_format.html Specifically it says, "Despite compressing HD footage to a size smaller than raw standard definition video, the codec's demands on the CPU and disk speed are light enough that...
I'm not suggesting they're actually going to use ProRes. I seem to remember an article from a couple years ago about Apple toying with a consumer oriented version of the same idea. But essentially what it comes down to is that in order to deliver a high quality file, you either need to send a large amount of data OR a smaller file with a much more processor intensive codec like ProRes, which I'm figuring is why Apple has waited so long to deliver 1080p. The processors...
A typical SD movie on iTunes is about 1.2GB, and HD movie is about 4.5 (4x the pixels). I was postulating that using the same codec, a 1080 movie would be 4x again or about 12GB.Apple can't compete with blu-ray for raw file size. No one wants to try and stream a 30GB file every time they want to rent an HD movie (or at least not until ISP prices come down). That is the advantage of disk formats; they can code at insanely high data-rates, because it's all kept...
Unfortunately, I'd be inclined to think that if iTunes content receives a 1080 upgrade, the aTV2 will be left behind. If Apple is going to start delivering 1080p content, it will be using a new, more processor intensive codec to deliver it. Under the current codec, an average movie might be 10-12GB.
Your downplaying of what could potentially be a doubling of processor speed aside, when a device is almost entirely a screen, a double resolution display IS a big deal. Are the only metrics you'd consider significant case design? Would you have preferred thinner and lighter with no internal improvements?
Except that attendees get hands-on time with the devices after the presentation, which those who choose to cover the event from a live stream clearly would not.Also, iPad2 event was live streamed.
The only thing I really want is for Apple to resurrect the live stream of these events. They did it for the "Back To the Mac" and "iPad2" events, then stopped (though live streaming the WWDC keynote, since it wasn't tied to any hardware announcements was probably wise...). Sifting through the liveblogs is it's own kind of fun, but a live stream would be even better. I have a feeling this is going to be a good one.
...and Jim Dalrymple at THE LOOP confirms...
Well, in terms of hardware advancement (i.e.. not the guts)- Apple can only make 3 significant changes- THICKNESS, WEIGHT, SIZE. It seems obvious that Apple are probably sticking with the 9.7" display for at least a couple more revs. The iPad2 brought us both reductions in weight and thickness. I think that the retina display technology is to a large extent going to determine if we see any movement on size and weight again this year. If they're going with the...
Regardless of all the armchair quarterbacking that's been going on, I do think that RIM is on the only course that can save it- launch a new, compelling product as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, that won't be until fall of this year. And that could well doom them, and there might not be anything they can do about it. They're shedding marketshare every quarter to iOS and Andriod, and we've got at least 2 (if not 3) more quarters before RIM can release their new...