or Connect

Posts by groakes

Now if it were Marc Newson, THAT would be somoene to get excited over...
Amazon seems to be putting great stock in its Cloud services. So the decision to NOT have 3G on the Fire strikes me as somewhat curious. Or at least one that will limit the Fire's potential success to markets where free WiFi is pervasive. Also interesting is the marketing photo showing the Fire being used in Portarit mode by a quite young child. The cynic in me said that they were not playing up the simplicity of use ("even a child can use it") , but down playing the 7"...
All this talk about "physical media being dead" is based around an idea that cheap bandwidth is widely available ALL AROUND THE WORLD. Until that utopian ideal is achieved there will always be a requirement for a high volume physical delivery medium. Remember the old saying - "Never understimate the bandwidth of a taxi full of (insert physical media of your choice)". cheers Greg
Do you have any concept of the number of rapes and/or incidents of workplace sexual misconduct NOT reported every day due the victim (male or female) being unable for any number of reasons (might lose their job etc). If you (male or female) use your position or authority to gain sexual benefits from a person (male or female). You are vaguely correct (for reasons you probably don't understand) when you say that if the victim claims harrasment, then there is harrasment to...
Sexual Harrasment IS NOT having an affair. Sexual Harrasment is the use of power or position to gain sexual benefits from somebody else. As per Wikipedia,This is not about an office daliance, it is about criminal behaviour.
The scenario that appeals to me is two 27" side by side, one running Logic and the other acting as a Logic Node for distributed processing. Hopefully there would also be a keyboard shortcut (or something similiar) to act like a KVM switch so you can switch between 1 x 2 head and 2 x 1 head...
I think you have to look at this from the perspective of an iPhone or other multitouch interface. Obviously, if you are mouse driving on a standard desktop or laptop device, then folders on the dock may be just as useful. However, if you are driving with multiple fingers on a touch screen (as per an iPhone or something else) then the functionality of having you options arc out as on the Stacks screen shot "seems" to offer a better interface. cheers Greg
To my eyes, I think it's quite impressive. OK, if the dock wasn't reflective or the menu bar wasn't transparent I wouldn't miss it. But I do think that Leopard seems to be a superbly useable evolution. Don't forget, this is 10.5 NOT 11 so I would say evolution is the name of the game. Another thing - the Stacks (and coverflow preview) feature looks like it has multi-touch very much in mind. I think there is a whole swag of revolutionary hardware (using evolutionary...
Personally, I would like something in the Mini's form factor as a home server unit. Media server, mail server, file and print with some stackable fw attached disk and running a cutdown version of OS X server and something like VNC to control it without having to worry about kvm. And maybe some home portal software (iZope anyone?) that integrates with rest of iLife so you can put all your stuff up on a home intranet. Gates is talking about home servers so the meme is out...
Just updated to 10.4.9 on a G5 iMac and 12"G4 iBook. The iMac worked with no problems. The iBook now has lost its wireless network. I try to connect to my Netgear router (which my iMac and a Dell XP machine connect to without any issues) and it returns a message that my network doesn't support WPA Personal. This only happened since I upgraded. I tried reloading my OS from boot disks - the OS worked but the wireless remained dead. I then upgraded again to 10.4.8 but still...