or Connect

Posts by sjk

Maybe more H.264 in addition to DivX/XviD/3viD?And no shortage of video conversion tools intended for the latter.Related to your original question, what effect has that content had on the dominance of other formats? I've noticed a fair number of Mac-centric video podcasts are H.264, some higher resolution than the iPod requires. Obviously aTV owners, like video iPod owners, need compatible content. Even though iTS won't be the only direct distributor the iTunes...
Yeah, if Sony (et.al.) can sell DivX-compatible devices what's Apple's real reason not to do it with aTV? Surely it can't be a licensing cost issue because much smaller companies provide DivX support for their products. For example, Elgato's discontinued EyeHome supports these video formats: • MPEG-1 (.mpg) • MPEG-2 (including unencrypted .vob) • ISMA MPEG-4 (.mp4) • DivX (including DIVX, DX50, XVID, DivX 3.x, 3ivX 4 codecs) No H.264. And its audio support is mostly a...
Personally, I don't care if aTV supports DivX since until earlier today (for brief Toast testing) I didn't have even a single DivX file on my Macs, which also disqualifies me as a "DivX poster" here. I see several reasons why Apple has chosen (for now) to limit the video formats aTV supports, including not wanting to be perceived as catering to piracy as you mentioned earlier. They want to focus on H.264, especially with it already being the primary video iPod format. ...
10.4.9 updates BIND (DNS software) from 9.2.2 to 9.3.2, although 9.3.4 is the latest official maintenance release and 9.4.0 the latest current release.
That's something people who trivialize the idea of "Photoshop, Office, et.al. killers" seem to ignore or forget. And why Windows will be around for a lot longer than some of us would like it to be. But eventually that'll all be legacy/history, maybe even some in my remaining lifetime.
Please let Hiro's comments put an end to the brief political topic drift.
Okay, Mr. Know-It-All. Some of us do understand your points but they don't negate equally valid points that you might exclude or discredit if they don't support your own arguments. I don't think anyone is immune from that sort of selective exclusion that we sometimes accuse others of having, explicitly or implicitly. Even though I understand and often agree with much of what you write it sometimes leaves little room for others (myself included) to express their own ideas...
Wow, seems like forever since anyone replied and agreed with me on this forum… thanks! Even if you'd disagreed just an acknowledgment makes me feel like it's worth posting since usually my comments seem drowned out by more prolific posters.
And "bought" video, too, like EyeTV MPEG-2 recordings without the time-consuming export conversion for aTV compatibility that Elgato's FAQ is currently suggesting. Maybe unsupported video formats won't be as dramatic for aTV as if the iPod hadn't support MP3 but I still think it's an important issue from the perspective of potential customers. Isn't it obvious that aTV has a higher chance of general success by supporting popular formats like DivX/XviD and MPEG-2,...
For storing synched content, basically explained in Apple TV - Sync with iTunes.