or Connect

Posts by DESuserIGN

It's funny. In many ways the auto industry are the original UX-centered companies that Apple emulated to become who they are. On the other hand, the auto industry is the ultimate moribund, big, dumb, incumbent entity that can't evolve or change with the times. There's no real reason a feed of data and some control over minor systems (radio, mirrors, seat position, a display, etc.) need to be coupled to the longer term development. But I'm sure the car companies can't see...
 Actually I was referring to OBD2  and CAN here: The auto industry didn't implement OBD2 because they wanted to, it was pretty much mandated for EPA compliance consumer rights. The CAN bus was a handy means to that end, but it doesn't cover all the bases and it isn't a free and open standard (although the terms may be reasonable.) Something along this line is where they should go, but I doubt they have been designed with the kind of features Apple et al might want or need....
Apple works well with the internet, ethernet, Wifi, the web, servers, etc. etc. They don't control those products from top to bottom. They want to control their part of the overall  widget. Far from the "if cars worked like computers" meme, the auto industry is the control freak. Hell, it was like pulling teeth to get access to trouble codes! (and it's still less than ideal.) When they advance into the 21st century and agree on an open standard interface with auto system,...
 Apple isn't going to bring what the car companies want. The car companies could hire anyone to do that.Apple will bring what they do best — what users don't know they want yet — something that can evolve.I don't think the problem is Apple's arrogance, it may well be the auto industry's yearning for built in differentiation. The car and the personal device don't have to merge (as auto designers seem to think.) They just need to work well together. You are right openness is...
 This is certainly true. Apple's willingness to cannibalize and displace their own best products is the biggest factor about Apple that "forces change." This is not a technology or business skill which is why tech and business people have such a hard time seeing it, muchness appreciating or understanding it.
 Of course that's simply impossible for "Android" since it's not been around long enough (and it's neither a computer nor a company--talk about apples and oranges!). But forgetting that, it's just not the same. Perhaps one could say that they have been "forcing the world to settle" or "forcing the world to comply." Apple, in innovating and embracing new technologies and innovations,  has been forcing the industry to follow Apple's lead, or risk irrelevance and failure. The...
 I do get a kick out of this image—the mighty Mac Pro digitally placed against an other worldly, stormy sky, back drop . . . . . . with the photographer's pedestrian, bay area, apartment reflected on the shiny, anodized surface of the MacPro.Fantasy and reality all in one simple photo.
Um, why not 16b for all Macs? 16b has been around for a long time now. Even good old free iPhoto has done 16b and RAW for a while now, even on older Macs with tiny single GPUs. I guess this should remind me why I almost never use Pixelmator since I bought it.
My gripes with Apple TV have more to do with feature decisions than with anything else: • Why have the inventors of quicktime abandoned it's central usability innovation? ATV seems to ignore bandwidth limitations and only stream at full quality, even if the connection can't support it. I'm sure they want the best possible experience for users (high quality images) but ignoring basic usability at lower bandwidths is stupid. Let users ramp up to full quality as they are...
 Yes, at least to some extent. Settings -> General -> Bluetooth mentions pairing a keyboard, which I have done before, and I'm pretty sure I've paired a mouse or trackpad before. I've always assumed the remote is done via bluetooth, but I really don't know. I've also assumed that the iOS Remote app works via WiFI, but again, it could use Bluetooth instead. I'm not certain.