or Connect

Posts by DESuserIGN

While most of what you say is right on, it's deceptive to say that the TIFF file is not compressed since  a huge amount of the RAW image data gets interpolated and tossed out during the post processing of the TIFF. Ironically an uncompressed TIFF file is usually larger than a RAW file since it has uncompressed RGB values (no alpha unless you add it later) for every pixel while the RAW file has only one value for each pixel (sensor cell.)   TIFF: each pixel has 8 bitsof...
• All cameras 'shoot' RAW. They just don't all output RAW files. (which is why many cameras have been hacked to output RAW files.) • Compression has nothing to do with RAW or not RAW. If all the original sensor information is preserved, untouched, compressed or not, it is RAW data by definition. • Enhancement of any kind that irretrievably changes the RAW data makes it not RAW.
I'm a product designer, not a graphic designer. Not really a common design term though. Only people instructed in photography seem to know the term. But I'm also a terrible speller. I like photography though, so I should know better. I know it's a Japanese word and blow the spelling (maybe it should really be spelled  "Boka" as it is in Japanese?)  
  Not to be a noodge, but the very first words of your post, "proof reading" are properly written as one word. Otherwise, I agree with you . . .   It's just funny how it always seems to work work out that way on proofreading complaint posts.   ;-)
 It is in fact a very dense sensor and not up sampled as one might have assumed.   Amazingly the whole darn lens (not just a snigle element) is moved to correct hand movement as sensed by gyros. It's pretty cool. I was also surprised.
  Yeah, Nokia is doing some interesting things with the camera. I applaud them in that I often wish I could have a bit more control over Apple's cameras. Although most people probably don't care, its good to see Nokia doing some interesting touch screen UI work for camera controls. (It seems nobody else in the space is doing it.)   BTW, the problem small sensors is too much DOF (no Boka!) not a lack of it. But I assume this is what you meant. :-)
  One might look at Nokia's oversampling and and Apple's HDR approaches as two somewhat diverging methods of moving toward the same goal. The oversampling strategy pursues dense spacial sampling while HDR pursues dense exposure sampling. Both record extra information in order to produce images with better signal to noise ratios.
  Hate to break it to you but "it"  hasn't been "a cellphone" for many years now. What people are buying now, despite refering to it as a "smartphone," is actually a "pocketable, networked supercomputer with a variety of environmental sensors," including GPS, camera, compass, gyros, etc. And they are buying them to meet highly individualized needs of all kinds (they don't limit themselves to your imagination.)
Perhaps Johnson burned some bridges (I don't know) and he left with a bit of a cloud over his head. Yes JC Penny din't work out (but frankly I never thought the fit was good—a company like Target would have been better in my mind.) but the fact is he was great for Apple and still could be (if he's willing, which I also have no idea about.)   Other people have left Apple in unfavorable circumstances, had some mixed results elsewhere, and then found success back at...
Someone they trust, who is proven, has experience, understands the culture of Apple but is strong enough to build on it . . . . . . seems to me Apple should be courting Ron Johnson to return (which I have thought ever since he left JC Penny.) Seriously.