or Connect

Posts by DESuserIGN

Exactly!I usually get wired for about $12/year. I expect to pay no more than that for the digital version (which I can't share with anyone!) And then there's the fact that many of the e-versions are essentially abridged versions. The publishers are simply afraid to make the leap and make a viable offering. When they do, customers will bite.[And BTW, far from what Wenner thinks, the transition to digital is well under way, just not the way he thinks. Although I tend to...
Perhaps I should have referred to the parts as" commoditized" rather than "cheap and generic." The point being Apple doesn't want to own the infrastructure for manufacturing RAM (a major part of what Samsung makes for them) or even component chips or CPU's. The value Apple adds is in the proprietary parts of the product, not the freely available parts (design, engineering, interface, OS components, software, hardware tweaks, etc.)[And Samsung can't just "cut Apple off" as...
Yes. Most people forget Apple was a co-founding partner of ARM (I think they had a 10% interest) and had a big say in the chip design (Apple used to design a lot of their own chips in the old days, and still does.) Although it sounds odd to me to refer to baseband, BT and WiFi chips as "CPU's." The AI article also makes it sound like ARM manufactures chips, but I'm pretty sure they just concentrate on designing excellent chips and then licensing their designs to others.
Not really. One of Apple's greatest strengths is in creating superior products out of cheap generic parts (ie Samsung, BSD Unix, CUPS, Webkit, etc.) combined with their own innovative and proprietary hardware (PA Semi, Optimized ARM, etc.) and software (Next, Aqua, Quartz, etc.) That's how they maintain such big margins. Owning a component foundry would slow them down. They never could have ramped up iPod, iPhone, iPads, etc. fast enough. Never could have swiched...
Perhaps the poster dislikes SL because it makes other OS platforms look bad in comparison? I have one old PPC Mac that is pegged out at Leopard. The fact that it is stuck there has finally stimulated me to replace it with an intel machine (I guess I have gotten to like SL.)
Says the "real member" who has been posting since way back in February 2011.
Actually 30% is less than normal retail channels. Especially when you consider the associated costs and services that Apple assumes (purchase records and tracking, returns and customer service, re-downloads, upgrades, etc.) Most software you would buy in a store is marked up as much as 60-100% (or more) over what they paid wholesale (which is a 37-50%(+) cut) and they do pretty much nothing else (especially not returns or customer service.) This is true for typical small...
It's incredible how ignorant some of these anti-collective bargaining posts are. While some unions have abused their power, those incidents do not even begin to compare to the abuses carried out by management every day. Thank God for the efforts of unions, OSHA, the standard 40 hour work week, equal pay for equal work, and all the many other benefits these morons take for granted. Even so, with the decline in unions, on average, American workers have fewer training...
Actually, very un-Apple-like in many ways.The oddest thing to me is combining "Thunder" and "bolt." I guess this is the Norse influence over us or something. Anyway, I think in terms of bolts of lightning and claps of thunder, lightening being the electrical phenomenon occurring in bolts, and thunder being the associated sound. Referring to a "thunderbolt" is akin to believing the of noise of a gun as what is dangerous rather than the bullet speeding out of its barrel.
Holy crap, those are ugly.