or Connect

Posts by macarena

The timing of all this data center expansion spree is all wrong. We are on the cusp - literally in months - of a revolution in the server space, with 64-bit ARM processors going massively parallel - like 16 core on single die, and being capable of being operated at high clock speeds - north of 2.0GHz, with huge memory bandwidth, cache, etc. All while barely sipping power. Just think about it - if we take A7 itself, and replace the GPU cores with additional CPU cores, we...
If there is one wish I had for the next iPhone, it would be a larger battery. There is absolutely no sense having cool features on a phone, if we have to turn it off to ensure the phone lasts the whole day. Quite simply, even basic features like Push Email, end up killing the battery pretty quickly (especially if you are in an area with poor coverage).   Apple has taken form over function a bit too seriously over the last 2-3 years, and it is beginning to really have an...
Come on - you can't be serious! Why would you kill the looks of an iPhone by slapping on a monstrosity like that Juice Pack!Can't you understand the difference between making the phone 10 gm heavier and 0.5mm thicker, vs slapping on an ugly power pack?A 0.5mm thicker and 10 gm heavier phone, would be like the same as Previous iPhones. But would comfortably allow anyone to use ALL the nice features of a smartphone, without worrying about battery life.My point is, Apple is...
I type a lot, either inside the FB app or the Mail app. The iPhone 5S battery in these two apps is simply so horrible it is unbelievable. My phone can go from 100% to 30% in just 3-4 hours of mail or FB use! So effectively I am at 30% by 10 am! I am one of those who believe that Apple should add an additional 10 grams of battery, even if that increased the thickness by 0.5mm. That change would make the phone a much more pleasurable experience. I am forced to keep my...
This is nothing new from Apple's perspective. We already have the Moto E that's a stock Android Kitkat phone, with a 4.5" screen, dual core processor, and crappy camera, that's available for below $120. I don't think $20 lesser is going to be earth shatteringly different against a player like Apple. This all happened before. PC's have gotten commoditized into sub $300 levels, even if you don't consider net books. While Apple steadfastly maintains its quality, price and...
What's the point if Google Wallet only ends up providing this information to the merchant, who then sends it to a payment gateway of his choice!!? Why can't Google process the payment itself and credit the merchant? That way we only have to worry about Google, not about merchant as well! This feels a half baked pointless solution! And in a month or two, Apple will launch a much better version, leaving Google's implementation as landfill.
Nailed it in a way that no one else could.   http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180406/apple-has-a-few-more-secret-banners-still-under-wraps-at-wwdc-2014/40#post_2543782   Like I said, Apple focussed more on Industries, with 3 of my first 4 choices hitting bulls eye. I still think Television will see something soon - with a separate App Store for content for Apple TV.   Like I expected, Apple's big push will not come from launching Products any more - they didnt bother...
There are quite a few industries that are ripe for the Apple touch.   Healthcare, Television, Cars, Home automation, Education, Gaming, are the six biggest things that spring to mind. These would allow Apple to become a more significant part of our everyday lives, in a high revenue sort of way. Of these Apple already has significant presence in Gaming, but still has ample room to grow.   At this point, Apple needs to go for maximum impact - Apple is now too big to be...
There are 3 companies in the world that I would consider worthwhile acquisition targets for Apple - both in terms of offering ways to cover gaps in Apple's strategy, and in terms of helping Apple compete effectively with the competition. These three are Yahoo, Echostar, and Nintendo. Yahoo because they have expertise in cloud and internet services, which Apple has usually found it difficult to crack, because it allows Apple a foothold in Search to turn the screws on...
This could backfire in a big way on Apple. Now, Apple is able to defend itself in court, saying that it is buying components from others, and their vendors already have licenses, etc. So everything is clean. If Apple is building its own baseband, to be used in high end devices only, they might be exposed to higher FRAND prices. The trouble with FRAND, is that it does not mean everybody pays the same price. There is acceptance that larger vendors with more expensive...