or Connect

Posts by macarena

11.0 will happen when there is a major shift in Mac OS X.   I believe Apple will create 11.0 as a A-series only version of the OS, and continue with 10.11, 10.12 etc for some time, for those who prefer Intel. And at some point, when the transition away from Intel is completed, the 10.v series will be stopped.
Why is it not possible for Intel to achieve what Apple did? For that you need to delve a little bit deeper into the technicals of the GPU and CPU and understand the difference between what Intel means by Shared Graphics Memory and what Apple means by Shared Graphics Memory (in iOS). When you have physical memory chips, say of 4GB, Intel partitions that chip and uses a small part of it, say 256MB as Graphics memory. That memory is not available to the CPU, and the rest of...
There are a lot of noises about Apple ditching Intel and moving to a full ARM based architecture in their Mac line up. However, it is probably debatable if this is a safe decision for Apple to do. There are still many advantages with sticking to Intel on Macs - notably the ability to dual boot Windows.   However, there is one space in which Apple can safely switch to ARM without causing any confusion, cannibalization, etc. And that is in the Server space. It is easy for...
I know what Rosetta is - and that's what I mean by binary compatibility - ensuring that things run fine at the binary level. If you mean that ARM should somehow support the Intel Instruction Set without a translation layer, I don't think that's possible. Rosetta was needed for the transition - but that doesn't make it great. Secondly, Rosetta was just a simple translation layer that allowed the old binary format of the Classic to run on from the new Mac OS X. The Chips...
This is quintessential Apple - the attention to detail reaches levels that probably no one would even bother to focus on. Of all of Steve Jobs achievements - what he achieved with his team is probably the biggest one. These are some of the smartest people in the world - and the respect, love and affection they have for Jobs is so obvious even today. I think Apple is executing at a level that would make Steve Jobs proud - and I truly believe the best of Apple is yet to...
Rosetta was probably the worst transition methodology used by Apple - it was slow, and buggy. I hope they never ever try to use an emulator! Is that what you mean by binary compatibility? Thank God Apple has better ideas - like what they used for the Intel Transition. The Mac transition to Intel is NOT about binary compatibility. They used Universal binaries for that. With time a lot of software is getting on to Mac App Store. While there will always be software that's...
Marvin - let me ask you a few questions - then you will realize the direction Apple is taking.- have you ever wondered why Apple gave up on XServe? Despite being a small part of sales, it was an important part, because that was the best option for a Mac Based server. I don't see the Mac Mini as a real server - it is just a basic alternative to one.At that point, people expected Apple to replace this line with something else - and it didn't happen. Today, Apple is forcing...
This makes sense in only one context - where Intel is forced to sell these shares when the company is being acquired. Otherwise, this has no sense whatsoever. The moment Apple launched Metal API that was exclusively designed for PowerVR, this became a company that Apple would acquire one way or other, some day. People still haven't understood Metal and the edge that Apple gets because of Metal. By minimising the latency of calls made via Metal, Apple effectively has made...
I would say at least 50% of the 25 million people who purchased the new iPhone 6 over the last month are hard core Apple fans - who hate Google, Samsung, and now probably even Bose. These are the well-heeled crowd, tech friendly, who probably are fine spending a bit extra to have the latest-greatest gadget. Probably the worst crowd that any tech/gadget company could find itself on the wrong side of!   Being banned by Apple may not be a big thing in terms of reaching the...
The Swiss are all about precision manufacturing, accuracy, miniature mechanical components, and the like. But the rest of the world has caught up with them on this front. You cannot stay forever ahead, unless you keep innovating.   Swatch once had the privilege of calling their watch the thinnest watch in the world - till India's Titan came up with Edge. Suddenly, you didn't need a plastic body to have a thin watch - Titan made metal watches, including fancy materials...