or Connect

Posts by macarena

BATS runs several servers and networks that help its customers route orders with low latency and high throughput to several exchanges around the world. To enhance throughput, and to ensure that its machines do not get bogged down by a sudden flood of orders, BATS relies on multiple servers each of which handles a subset of stock tickers. These subsets are defined alphabetically - so that it is easy to route the right order to the right server by just simple pattern...
His comments on education were so off the charts that it cast a shadow of stupidity on the entire post!However, I think his first idea of making iWork and iLife free apps is not all that stupid.When MS Launches Win 8 tablet, they will definitely have Office tablet edition available for Win 8. At that point, there will be millions of people who would consider Win 8 tablets simply because of its ability to handle Office documents. And it is quite likely that higher end...
Free for education is just not going to fly - there is no way Apple can even make as many as they would need! But for the other idea - I think at some point Apple will embrace something like it. Today, there is absolutely no competition for the iPad, so there is no need for Apple to give away quality software. In fact there are many people who would agree that Apple should/could have priced the new iPad higher.... they are leaving quite a bit of money on the table at the...
Two of the 35 iPads must have been to the Samsung employee's house as well -- one for his use, and the other to crack open to start copying!
Maybe when you are in the US you don't realize the price increase from the 3GS to the 4 and 4S -because your carriers just absorb a slightly higher subsidy. But in the rest of the world, it is quite visible how much Apple has increased prices as the technology increased significantly from 3GS to the 4. Even in the US, the price of the iPod Touch went up from $199 to $229 when it moved to a retina display. Yes - generally Apple has kept prices same and has added...
Some of the details of the iPad announcement signify a shift in Apple's thinking. And I am not sure yet, but I think this could be a massive change in mentality for Apple. Whether it is better in the long run or not, only time will tell. The first change I see, is that under Steve Jobs, Apple would have likely priced the new iPad at $579 or $599 - claiming that this radical new screen never before seen in any mobile device and LTE with whole day battery life was a steal...
I hope the iPad 2 was not stretching your muscles to their limit :-)
In all likelihood, this sort of move could be one of the reasons for Apple to pile up so much cash. But fiber, or for that matter anything wired, is not the solution to solve last mile. It is way too expensive to lay last mile wire.The beauty is that you don't need last mile fiber. The speeds that we get in the US are already capable of handling any requirement - including 1080p streaming. The trouble is, our infrastructure is not capable of handling it, if everyone...
At the time of the Nokia settlement, Nokia had already announced that they were going to become a Windows Phone shop. At that point, it was in Apple's interest to license IP to Nokia. If they did not use cross licensing to reduce their lump sum payments to Nokia, Apple would have likely faced a scenario where Nokia would have used all this technology ANYWAY - because they would have been shielded by Microsoft.And there is really no way on earth Apple would want to take on...
This might be true - but that does take away from the fact that the existing business model is retarded. If a customer is willing to pay money, but there is no way to pay money and watch legally, there isn't much point in blaming the customer for resorting to other means. I have faced similar situations in the past. When I moved back to India, I had to give up watching pretty much all the shows I used to see earlier. Thankfully, now some of these shows are available in...