or Connect

Posts by macarena

Here is where I think Steve and Apple are missing out. They want a success based or pay as you go style model. Quite obviously, that is not going to fly - because networks don't want to take a risk with disrupting revenues. Apple is willing to use its cash pile to pay in advance for components, etc. Why not pay a big chunk of money for global distribution rights with iTunes subscriptions, and then Apple takes the risk of whether they can make this model work. Say Apple...
The reason why Apple has higher margins has a lot to do with efficiency. They have large volumes that they can leverage to lower costs of their components. Almost 10-15% of the price of the competition products is lost to Retail - whereas most of it is retained by Apple as they sell at their own stores - brick and online. Apple sells pretty much all it can make - so they don't have blocked inventory and fire sales adding to costs. Apple's upfront focus on quality and...
For a moment forget about the fact that this article does not consider Assembly, Shipping, Warranty, Software Development and Support, retail margins, and so many other costs. There is a much bigger problem in this article. Based on $310 of component costs, Apple's margins should be calculated as: ($499 - $310) / $499. That way, the margins come to about 38%. Why? If Apple makes $10 Billion of Revenues, and has $3 Billion of Profits, what would you consider Apple's...
The iPad is a great SSH client - there are several SSH apps on the App Store. If you have a farm of headless servers that run SSHD on the public internet, nothing stops you from using an iPad. However, there is one catch. The whole idea of a virtual keyboard is that there can be multiple keyboards for multiple tasks. Unix terminal users are accustomed to doing everything with the keyboard - so these SSH clients should also use keyboards that are conducive for that sort of...
When you say you need a Linux terminal for work, I guess you really need an SSH client where you get a terminal to control OTHER Linux machines, right? If that is the case, iPad has quite a few options for you. Just check out the App Store. Unless you are an iOS Jailbreaker at work, I can't see why you need to get terminal access to the iPad itself!
Foxconn does a whole lot more than just vanilla assembling. Read up on how unibody is made. Yes, machining is not the same as being a metal foundry - but it is a lot closer to foundry than just assembling is. Read my post - the formula and the process are well known. The only thing stopping someone else from making this themselves is the royalty payments to be paid to LQMT. There is nothing stopping Apple from making this product on their own. And being a contract...
What makes you think that this cannot be done for Apple by Foxconn? This formula itself is not a secret - just that LQMT needs to be paid royalties for using the formula. If Apple has already paid LQMT for perpetual rights, why can't Apple use the formula and have someone like Foxconn make this for them? Where does LQMT make money in such a scenario? If Foxconn can do unibody machining for Aluminium, this should be a lot easier technologically. And more importantly, do you...
If I read correctly, LQMT said that Apple has a fully paid worldwide Exclusive license to commercialize this technology in the Electronics space. And if I understand this correctly, Apple need not pay LQMT any more for using this technology - because it is already fully paid up. In all likelihood, today's Apple annoucement will not make any money for the company - it will only increase the profile of the company and make them more attractive for other...
About time. The RAM was the one feature of the iPad that people had legitimate concerns about. Simply because it made the experience sort of sub optimal, by forcing Safari reloads. Of course, this is a double edged sword. I hope Apple still keeps a tight rein on allowing minimal background functionality. With extra RAM, it is easy for developers to become complacent and put unneccessary features in the background! Very soon, even the extra RAM won't be enough.
I think this $5-$15 asked for by Apple could be after cross licensing all of the other party patents. So this could be actual cash flowing to Apple. And Apple doesn't have to pay them anything more for their patents. If that's the case, it is not so cheap anymore! But not sure if this will hold - could just be the opening gambit. Secondly, Apple has probably realized that Android is failing under its own issues. Like fragmentation, malware, etc. And Apple probably wants...