or Connect

Posts by macarena

This is not about Jobs getting realistic - this is about Jobs realizing that targeting Enterprise would have been a pointless exercise back in 1997. No Enterprise would talk to Apple back then - remember people were expecting Apple to burn up anytime soon. This is more about Jobs realizing "the PC wars are over - Microsoft won", and changing the battlefield completely. In this new battlefield, Apple is winning hand over fist - and it is success in this battlefield that is...
would be to buy Time Warner.... Market cap of about 35B USD - at a 15% premium, would cost them 40B. Enough left in the tank for a bidding war, should one erupt, and Apple can also take on some debt if required. This would give Apple entry into media in a big way - movies, music, print publications, TV shows, etc. Together with this, Apple also gets a shot at cracking open the cable business and ISP businesses. Apple already has a good relationship with Disney,...
Forget proof, it is quite obvious what is going on here... The entire Wireless Forum is based on the way the industry was in the past - they licensed out their technologies at "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory" rates to everyone - this everyone includes the $15 handset that does just the basic stuff, as well as higher end phones. Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson and others are caught in a bind here - they get barely $2 for each handset, because that is the maximum that the...
Nice graphic... We can make a very interesting observation - all the companies getting sued are doing well, wheras the companies doing the suing look like the have beens in the industry - Extrapolating this, it looks like shares of Sharp (in Japan), Samsung, LG Group (Korea) and shares of Motorola would be good to own.... and we can short RIM,. Microsoft, Nokia and Kodak against them. And as a corollary, is Apple share price already at its peak, considering Apple is doing...
... vibratorgate! The way the media grills Apple over anything and everything, I would not be surprised if this became a major talking point. Seriously, Apple looks like it needs to get a few more people in place - their innovation pace is so high, it must be pretty strenuous for every team member. Their progress on Mac OS X 7 is slow - in fact absolutely no noises about what comes after Snow Leopard. I like the pace Apple is setting, but they need to beef up...
... Mac sales help drive down the price of Blu-Ray drives. There is now an oversupply of Blu-Ray drives in the market because there is increased demand for Macs which don't use these drives! I mean, volumes of iPad are quite insignificant in comparison to the overall PC market - maybe things will change, but still long way from that. I think a more reasonable explanation would be that people are not really migrating to Windows 7, and PC sales are not picking up as...
For last few months, we have seen Google, MS, and others trying to crash the Facebook party - even while FB itself was trying to figure out how exactly to monetize its operation, without antagonizing its users with privacy concerns. Apple seems to have figured out a back door way to start up in the Social space. With 160M accounts in iTunes, being the largest retailer of music, being one of the most trusted companies when it comes to issues around privacy, and most...
Check out The complete story behind Oracle vs Google
Pretty much any independent Ad network would balk at being acquired by RIM, because that means giving up on the lucrative iOS devices market. It increasingly looks like iOS is going to be used on even more Apple devices, including AppleTV or iTV. If the rumored 7" iPad comes out, that can only help iOS grow its marketshare. I actually think the screen of the iPad and the Retina display of the iPhone 4 is the biggest weak link for Apple when it comes to ramping up...
I think going with a physical TV makes very little sense to Apple - the actual value they can add to the TV outside of the AppleTV functionality itself, is very minimal. All the functionality mentioned in this article is already possible with a reinvented Apple TV. I think the way Apple will go ahead will be the following: - Move Apple TV to iOS, opening up AppStore. - Cloud based DVR with limited local DVR. - Built in Video tuner capability to hook up other...