or Connect

Posts by macarena

Microsoft has come out with an ad that completely avoids mentioning the main product of Microsoft (Vista). Quite obviously, they avoid mentioning Vista for a reason - they dont want to play up Vista too much, because it has very bad image in the market. So they decide to focus on a partner's (HP's) product, and a competitor's product. But wait a minute -- HP's machine runs the very same Vista that even Microsoft is too ashamed to associate with! Why on earth should...
I dont know if it is currently, but shouldnt manipulation for ideological reasons also be treated as illegal activity. Maybe you dont benefit monetarily directly from your stock manipulation - but bashing a company/stock also has other ramifications. I have seen enough "fud" around Apple, with incorrect information being put out shamelessly by a variety of players. Not just Cramer, even Gartner, RBC, and lot of other people are guilty of throwing fud around just to...
Apple can and should "threaten" a potential lawsuit over the multi-touch features of the Pre - and at the same time indicate clearly that Palm has no leg to stand on - in terms of a countersuit. The important thing about Patent suits is that you have to be actively protecting your patent. You cant be seen delaying for 2 years, and then filing suit just in response to a suit filed by Apple. Apple can easily have a potential suit from Palm disposed very quickly with just...
If I were Steve for a few months, this is what I would get the Apple engineers to come up with. Intel Atom2 1.8GHz dual core CPU Northbridge integrated Intel GMA950 GPU (nVidia GeForce 9400 if possible) 2GB RAM 32GB/64GB SSD HDD Mac OS X.6 "Snow Leopard" Dual 7" high pixel density displays - with one side as MultiTouch glossy backlit LCD display, and other side as e-Ink "read only" display with 16 Grey levels. Both panels to support resolution of 1080x768 -...
I dont know if it is just me, or whether others are also feeling the same way - the stronger Apple gets financially, the more arrogant it seems - almost like "We dont need you anymore - you need us for your Apple fix". I am a big Apple enthusiast - but of late, I have been irritated by a lot of actions small and big. Their product and pricing decisions are beginning to piss me off. Some examples - -- Apple does not give you flexibility to use your own SD cards in...
Even in the US, the iPhone is not the most feature rich phone out there. There are a lot of other phones which have more features than the iPhone. Where iPhone trumps the others, is in the usability. Even the most complex features of the iPhone can be used by anyone in just a few minutes. Everything is so intuitive. There are literally dozens of e-Money and e-ticket options in Japan, and the phones there support only ONE option. Practically everyone in Japan has...
The Mac Mini for most people is a great computer to hook up to your large screen TV. Why go with an Apple TV that is limited in functionality as well as power, when you can have a full blown computer that is a lot more powerful? There is a completely different class of users - that use the Mac Mini in an entirely different way - Data Centers have sprung up with racks and racks of Mac Mini units - and their requirements are entirely different to what the Home Theater...
Of course, Apple will never do this, unless the alternative is an even worse scenario. The only worse scenario I can think of is if the rest of the world is aligned with micro-USB - not just for charging, but for sync, AV in/out, remote control, etc. And if accessory markets and car integration kits start focussing on the micro-USB market because of the much larger addressable market. Apple will not want to get left out in such a scenario. I think Apple's 30-pin dock is a...
A lot of people are missing the basic point here. I think this approach has some merit, and some flaws. While Apple's 30-pin dock connector has been designed to support charging, sync, remote control, AV out, etc., it should be possible for Apple to design a similar solution around micro-USB. I know it is possible, because there are multiple devices out there that use micro-USB for multiple things. And of course it is possible, without any performance degradation,...
Apple says they are watching the Netbook space, and they have some ideas for this market, and they cant do a device for less than $500 that is not completely junk... none of these statements imply that Apple will NOT come out with a netbook device sometime soon. In fact, ALL these points actually directly point to Apple having very strong strategy in this space. Then why is there a reason for the delay? It is clear that the cheapest way to sell Netbooks would be to...