or Connect

Posts by macarena

How is Google able to pass on this sort of data between apps? If there is such a facility, can it be used by smaller developers? Somehow this seems to be like pushing the envelope of what is "allowed" by Apple in iOS. If some smaller developer attempted something like this, Apple would shut him down in a heartbeat. I don't think we have heard the last of this yet.
The old pricing models, where people paid hundreds or even thousands of dollars for highly bloated software are on their way out. Earlier you had no choice but to buy software even if you needed just 20-30% of the functionality.   Today, with the AppStore model, there are thousands of options out there, that offer high quality software for free or for a dollar. With this sort of competition, the old companies. like MS and Adobe, look to compete by moving to...
IMO, RhoMobile is better than PhoneGap as a cross platform tool. The performance is quite good, and speed of development is also high. In fact for some functionality, RhoMobile generates basic screens for you, and all you need to do is to change the layout, colors, etc. Basic Database Insert, Delete, Update code is taken care of for you. The best part is that it has something called RhoSync, which makes it easy to build apps that can work offline, and when internet is...
  FYI - not only did we read up on Apple's policies before the fact, we have also gone through it with a very fine toothcomb after the fact. Even today, 6 months after the episode, Apple does not have anything on its policies regarding who is allowed and who is not allowed to use Recurring Subscriptions. This is one of those gray areas, where Apple thinks they have to protect their customers from signing up for a subscription plan, and probably forgetting about it, and...
While there a lot of things going right and good with Apple, there are quite a few things that are turning sour as well. I consider myself a big fan of everything Apple. However, over the last few months, I have had quite a few instances where Apple has done things that I am not happy/comfortable with. And some of these things have impacted me personally. My opinions about Apple have changed to be quite ambivalent at this point. I have probably not yet reached a stage...
My wishlist for iOS7 and next gen Apple Hardware.   - Integrated Infrared Transceiver. Would easily become the universal remote of choice to control everything in sight, and even out of sight - Fingerprint reader for Unlock and integrated multi account capability on iPad. Used as Plain Unlock mechanism on iPhone. - NFC Capability on iPhone, RFID Reader on iPad - Siri API for third party apps - Maps API for third party apps - AppleTV opened up for third...
When it comes to wearable computers, if it is a choice between Google Glass vs iWatch, I think most people would opt for iWatch. iWatch is always on, easily accessible, and can integrate with other iOS devices to enhance the overall experience. At the same time, it can be easily ignored when you don't want to deal with your digital life - just don't look at your watch! Google Glass on the other hand is way too in your face - you cannot avoid it. The technology hurdle...
It makes no sense for Apple to do a special low cost phone only for emerging markets - the scope for black marketing, etc is too high. Also, I am sure there are enough people in the US who would like a lower cost iPhone.   The biggest risk in making a low cost phone, is that it might cannibalize sales of the high end phones. To avoid this, Apple has some straight forward solutions - make the low cost phone with regular display instead of retina display, make it with...
It takes a LOT to sustain and compete at the high end for a long time. Even a company with the resources of Microsoft could not manage it. Apple has demonstrated it's innovation over 35 years now, and to some extent have ensured that this innovative spark continues even after the demise of Jobs. It will be interesting to see where Samsung is 3 years from now, when the industry is probably completely changed.
The Law on Unintended Consequences   Back when Sony launched the PS3, it was sold with a high end processor, and Blu-Ray drive - and was also subsidized in the hope that they could recover the losses from game sales. However, a large number of people bought the PS3 to use it as a Blu-Ray player, and never really purchased games in any significant number. While this helped Sony win the format war against HD-DVD, it did not really help them make profits. Sony has been...