or Connect

Posts by macarena

This offer could come back to bite Apple.   Firstly, offering 20% discount for cross licensing Samsung's patents means that the value of Samsung's patents is set at approximately $6 to $8 per device - a lot higher than the numbers Apple is offering now.   Secondly, it looks like these numbers could be looked at as being way too high - remember, Samsung prices its devices about 15-20% cheaper than Apple - so a $30 fee could be as high as 7-8% of the device...
Why Samsung will lose this one...   Samsung is not fighting the real battle at all. They are not claiming that they did not copy Apple's designs, they are not claiming that even if there is any similarity in the designs, it is purely coincidental. On the contrary, there is enough evidence from Samsung's own internal records that they actively compared the evolving design of the Galaxy S against the iPhone and wherever they found "issues", it was asked that the design...
Let me explain with a different example. If someone punches you, which part of your body would you protect other than your head?Now people could answer a dozen things - neck, legs, crotch, whatever. If 1% of people say they will protect their crotch - would you draw a conclusion that only 1% of people care about their crotch?"Next most important" is just like that. For 1%, it is next most important. For some it might be 3rd most important. For some 4th most important. You...
  Hope you did not spend too much money patenting it.... your patent expired about 50 million years back - at which point the only thing you could have received as compensation was a lot of hot air (because nothing else existed)! And even if your patent is still valid, I doubt if anyone can actually copy the Big Bang, even if they wanted to ;-) As for using things derived from the Big Bang, it is perfectly legal, as long as you don't use the Big Bang itself.   And in any...
This "advisory" from the judge to the jury is pure dynamite in Apple's favor.   And even when you are looking to fight a thermonuclear war, a little dynamite can always come in handy :-)
Totally irrelevant reply. If you steal my car, I can't use it anymore. If Google uses Apple's IP and is willing to compensate Apple for it, Apple can still use it's IP.The point is simply this - the whole point of the patent system is to encourage people to share their knowledge, so that further knowledge gains can be made. If not for this goal, everything could just be a trade secret and no one can build on top of others work. While it is legal to deny licensing, I...
Maybe Apple has major issues with the way the current situation evolved. And rightfully so. But despite that, clearly multitouch and other technologies are way too critical to be held only for the use of one company. We might all say google stole this from apple. But if google is willing to pay apple for this privilege, and was willing to pay all along, one could argue that it is Apple that forced google to steal by not being willing to license. In any case, despite how...
I keep complaining of the high upfront cost of the iPhone in India. But when I see the ridiculously high monthly charges in the US, it feels like I am luckier in India! I have to pay about $5 for 1GB, and $13 for 5GB (I never reach close to 1GB even!). And absolutely no limits on what I do with the data - tethering, FaceTime, whatever. And I get extremely low rates on voice, less than 1 cent a minute, and pretty much free text - first 100 msgs a day are free. I pay $800...
That groove for opening the laptop is a dead giveaway that this is in reality an Apple Laptop - please check your facts. Apple has posted several videos of how they spent a lot of time and attention getting this groove right. If this is really a HP laptop, then something is seriously wrong!
Is that the sound of $12.5 billion flushed down a toilet? This week must have been a real roller coaster ride for Google. First all the announcements at I/O - and then, right at the end, major bad news in the form of the Samsung nexus injunction. This is big news, because a stock Android phone has been banned. So the risk for Android just got ridiculously high. On top of it, these anti-trust actions. If Google cannot use the MMI patents aggressively, what is the use?...