or Connect

Posts by macarena

I am sure this is the sort of feature Orbitz must have thought about a lot, and even got some legal opinion on, before implementing. At one level, customers might think they are getting ripped off. But if you really think about it, all they are doing, is using User Data that the user is anyway sending them, to reorganize results. All the results are shown to everyone, and the prices are the same. It is just re-ordered. I actually think this is a much more ethical thing...
Not all iOS developers work for large US based companies. There are several small developers in the US, and even in other countries (I am from India). Also, when you are buying just a few Apple products for personal use the prices aren't a big deal. But if you have to equip a whole team of developers with Macs and iPhones/iPads, it gets really expensive.MacMini is an OK option, if you just want to build small apps. Or you dont want to use tools like the Profiler for...
Considering how small Computers have become, as a percentage of Apple's Revenue and Profits, it is indeed strange that Apple still insists on high margins in this space. In Apple's own reckoning, the PC market is a dying market, and the future is in tablets. Then why don't they lower their margins and make a play for increased marketshare?   Today, the barrier to developing iPhone and iPad software is significantly higher than the barrier to develop Android Software....
Don't view Amazon's strategy as being focussed on Apple. The race for #2 in tablets is still open. Amazon is the only player that has ecosystem in place. So a credible offering from Amazon is enough to make them #2. Maybe the Fire sucks now, but at some point even the cheap components will be more than good enough for what people want to do with the Fire. Amazon has to sustain its model till then, and build up critical mass. Sometimes this forum has a mentality of...
Whether or not MS builds its own tablet, I think a Windows tablet has a reasonable chance of success for following reasons: - MS still has a lions share of desktop OS - so any perceived compatibility or familiarity will give Windows tablets a boost out of the gate - even if there is no real similarity. - Android tablets are in a mess - Samsung and Motorola just cannot compete with Amazon's $199 (and soon $149) tablets - plus the innumerable tablets at even less than...
My predictions for iOS 6:   - New Maps interface, fully integrated with Siri. Will include features like multi-waypoint routing (shortest route), crowd sourced traffic, 3D enabled, turn by turn directions, etc. Core Location API upgraded to include full support for all Maps functionality, so that this can be easily integrated in 3rd Party Apps.   - Siri moves out of Beta, supported on all iOS platforms - including iPad and Apple TV. API support to integrate Siri...
Bingo - full marks for guessing it right. Everyone else, complaining about a bad tagline, etc, just wait till the event is over, and then you can have your two minutes to eat your words.   I expect the following announcements related to Siri - firstly, Apple will launch a couple of big partnerships that are entirely based on Siri - I mean, Apple's end of the bargain will be Siri, while the partner brings everything else. One of these partnerships is going to be in travel...
We are getting past the point where the OS by itself is of much significance. While Apple has a slight advantage because its iOS is tightly tied to its hardware, this advantage is eroding over time, because competitors can overcome this by spec bloat. Use slightly faster processors, and more RAM and this advantage is mostly wiped out. Most of the fancy Android phones today have very slick interfaces, with very responsive UI. Over the next couple of years, we will see...
Most (or should I say all) of the posters here are missing one important factor.   Apple might not have Maps as good as what Google has - it might not have StreetView coverage for as many cities worldwide as Google has - but that is besides the point. The point is, can Apple provide a solution that is many times better than the current Maps application on the iPhone? The answer to that is a resounding YES.   Maps on the iPhone is pathetic. There are no turn by...
The trouble with the music industry, is that they were dying when Apple saved them, but they are too busy trying to take their head out of their @ss to even realize it. They look at Apple as a threat, instead of seeing the reality that it is services like Spotify that are the threat.   $10 per month for unlimited music streaming seems like a lot - when you realize that there are 1000's of new songs recorded each month - $10 is a steal if all you do is listen to songs...