or Connect

Posts by macarena

Organizations are like people - they grow, they morph, and they die. We have to understand this basic principle. Is Cook the right guy to run Apple? Only time will tell. However, there is one thing pretty much no one looks at - would Jobs have been the right guy to run Apple today?   One strong Jobs trait was to only consider businesses where Apple could make its usual 35% margins, and not look at anything else. I imagine if Jobs had been running the show, the new...
I guess we will never find out what Tim Cook's real motivations are. But nevertheless, if it was out of some philosophical reasoning that he has more than enough money, and there is no need for any more, then I think his philosophy is misplaced.   I would rather Tim did one of the following: - Use the $75 million to buy Macs and iPads to be given to children around the world who cannot afford to buy a Mac or an iPad. - Establish some sort of scholarship so that...
This isn't as simple as it seems. Such decisions always have an element of collusion in them. For instance - if only Sony did this, Sony sales would suffer as customers bought cheaper Samsung TVs. The only way to avoid this, is to ensure your competitors also follow the same policy. Of course, just because the decisions came at same time does not mean the companies sat together and colluded. For instance Best Buy might have held a gun to their heads and forced them to...
The legal tide is turning slowly against Android. Over the last couple of weeks or so, there have been quite a few judgements that have gone against Android across the world, and in favor of multiple parties - not just Apple. Microsoft and Oracle have also become powerful opponents of Android.   I think Samsung will be sensible to explore the option of a settlement with Apple. This might also make considerable sense from Apple's perspective as well. Considering the...
In terms of frontiers left for Apple to conquer, the living room and the car are probably the only ones where Apple is not competing seriously yet. They have made big progress in the office, in the home (outside of living room), even in hospitals, etc. The AppleTV initiative (either the current one, or the rumored TV panel) will eventually be a serious contender for the living room. I can see the Car as the only frontier remaining for Apple.   Already people use...
  You do realize these limitations of Safari compared to Chrome aren't really relevant in the Phone space? Who wants tabs on top, when you have so little real estate. Who wants separate processes when you have so little memory available on the iPhone? That integrated Search/Address bar is not a positive thing - you do realize every URL you type is sent to Google's servers - so Big Brother knows all the sites you visit, even if you never searched for it. Combine this with...
Maybe this is from Digitimes, and so, not really credible.... but I think this is the general direction that Apple is moving towards. Samsung, Google, and Amazon are possibly the nearest competitors to Apple, and it makes zero sense for Apple to do anything that enriches their competitors. Samsung and Google gain from Apple in really big ways. Amazon, not so much.   From $12 Billion of component sales, Samsung should be making about a 10% margin or about $1.2B - and...
Apple's focus on aesthetics - not just in the physical device, but also on what is shown on the screen is, to put it simply, phenomenal. Windows 7 does not even come close to the polish of Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.   When competitors are struggling to match iPad pricing with lesser specs, I cannot imagine how they can attempt to put together something like the retina iPad! And the best part of the whole equation, is that Samsung makes the lions share of the...
There are some use cases where the smaller form factor makes a lot of sense. When I try to mount my iPad in my car, I realize it takes up too much space. Possibly blocking other important dials or buttons. A smaller iPad would be perfect in a car. Likewise, there are other use cases where the smaller iPad makes more sense. Also, when people talk of margins and that Apple will never release a product that impacts their margins, I hope they realize that the company has...
The people who think that Apple will not do this, are forgetting that this is Tim Cook's Apple - not Steve Jobs' Apple. For a master at logistics, the best way to showcase his skills is to increase supply (and therefore marketshare), and lower prices, without impacting profit margins significantly.   Secondly, it is high time Apple made a serious attempt at marketshare. There is absolutely no point in having $100B in the bank, if Apple does not use that money to...