or Connect

Posts by allblue

Gosh I feel as though I've just stepped into a time machine! I remember reading years ago in MacFormat magazine about tabs, so out came the old box to see if I could track it down. Man searching was slow back then (manually searching through a huge pile of mags ) and eventually found the 'Browser Wars' article I was looking for, which was in the April 2003 issue. I can't answer the tabs query precisely, but by then they were available in Gecko browsers, which at that time...
Without making a mountain out of a molehill... that really should be 'peek'. (Skulks back into language police guardhouse.)
I'm afraid the B&MG Foundation is not the act of selfless altruism as the (very successful) spin suggests, but is a tax avoidance mechanism designed for the extremely wealthy. The Foundation had (last year's figures) c$32.5 Bn, and as long as it spends $1.5 Bn p.a. pays no tax on the earnings of the rest. So one of the world's wealthiest men is effectively being 'taxed' on his investment earnings at a rate of just c.4.5%, with the added perk of deciding where and how he...
Well it is a question of definition, but having done a certain amount of research in this area the median figure for China's 'middle-class' i.e those who have access to a 'western-equivalent' income (which is much higher in real terms viz the domestic economy) currently stands at about 130 million, and is expanding by between 10-15 million a year. That latter figure may not hold up in the current global economic malaise, but yes it is a very sizeable prize for Apple or...
@ltcommander.data Thanks for taking the trouble to write such an informative post (and winterspan likewise.) Much appreciated.
How very true. As exemplified by the song of the Wall Street shysters: 'De-regulation! De-regulation! De-regulation!'. Crash! 'Bail-out! Bail-out! Bail-out!'
Good point.[ed: no thanks on the image]
I think we are pretty much in agreement here. A EULA is a dictat from a private corporation that they try to pretend is 'the law', which is why they have avoided the headline test-case in the courts. I'm not sure about the US, but certainly in the UK a judge could rule against a EULA if they thought it contravened a consumer's legal rights. This is why this German company sound so confident. I presume they have checked EU consumer law and have found that a EULA has no...
This is a very interesting situation developing. Apple are claiming a breach of their EULA, but just how sound a legal basis does the EULA actually have? What legal right does the seller have over a product that they have sold? Software companies say 'we're not selling software, we're licensing it', but if you go into a store, give them some money and take a product home you have bought it surely? At least a court may well see it that way, which is why software companies...
This comment interested me:Could anyone supply a bit more info on that? What Linux system (or systems) are being used? It strikes me that Linux is MS's biggest lurking nightmare, because for every new Mac sold a good proportion will also buy a retail version of Windows to run under BootCamp or alternatives, but if a third, Linux based consumer-friendly OS got out there and started competing with MS for the OEM market they would be in serious trouble.