or Connect

Posts by allblue

Try trimming a bonsai with a chainsaw!
Claude Monet was born on 14 November 1840 on the 5th floor of 45 rue Laffitte, in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. He was the second son of Claude Adolphe Monet and Louise Justine Aubrée Monet, both of them second-generation Parisians. On 20 May 1841, he was baptized in the local parish church, Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, as Oscar-Claude, but his parents called him simply Oscar. In 1845, his family moved to Le Havre in Normandy. His father wanted him to go into the family...
Hmm. So if you reduce the price of something, there is a chance that you might sell more of them. People like to come on this board and mock analysts, but that's the value of expert opinion right there.
This is too big and complex a question to fully answer here, but I've long been fascinated by how something as vast and amorphous as a national culture, national character even, manifests itself. In Britain (speaking as a Brit) at the heart of everything is the class system. It sits below the surface these days, but it's still there defining so much about how we think and what we do. 'Old money' is the thing, based on ownership of land and lineage, while manufacturing is...
And I paid 24 groats for my abacus back in 1423...
Thanks for those links, I second your recommendation. The first one in particular was very revealing when Steve Jobs talks about managers. How many here have suffered at the hands of managers who insist on 'managing' when leaving well alone is the best option. Management as an end in itself, rather than a means to an end. The cult of management, a curse of the modern age.
Ahem. Moving on from the semantics... This trend shows another big advantage to Apple of their vertical integration. For every additional unit sold the OS component cost reduces, as the fixed OS development cost is spread out across more and more units, increasing the profit margin on each device sold.
I happen to know in my case exactly what the margin on a Mini was. This was from a small local shop in Portugal that doesn't really sell Macs, so it had to be ordered, and embarrassingly for them they quoted me their price! They paid Apple €669 and after a bit of teasing on my part (they're nice people ) I paid the book price of €749. So €80 for making an online order and handing it over to me seems a reasonable enough margin!
Not much love for Lion in this thread. Could I ask someone who knows about these things, is there more to Rosetta than just the application itself? Any underlying system stuff? If not, slowing adoption of Lion and pissing off a good chunk of their customers for 3.4 MB of hard drive space seems like a piece of poor judgement.
I'm in the 84% and will not upgrade until I have no choice when I buy a new machine. The reason is simple - no Rosetta. Dumping a bunch of perfectly functional apps will be costly and inconvenient so I will put that off for as long as possible. Even with a new purchase, I intend to make a boot drive running 10.6 so I can still use those occasional and hard to replace apps.