or Connect

Posts by EMoeller

I agree with Knowitall, but I also believe that Touch ID will be embedded in all of Apple's products (including laptops and desktops). That combined volume would justify the investment in sapphire. As for liquid metal it will continue to be used in unique situations where it will provide high value in smaller part applications. I am a huge fan of Touch ID and have waited on purchase of a new iPad until it is incorporated in the product line.
Underground, of course!
 Well I had this correct (that Google was headed towards live sat info) but my time horizon was off. This is what the WSJ had to say about Skybox Imaging (the company Google just purchased for $500M): "For 1/38th the price of WhatsApp, Google acquired Skybox Imaging, which puts satellites into orbit 185 miles above Earth on the tip of the same Russian missiles that once threatened the U.S. with nuclear destruction. And here's what Skybox could allow Google to accomplish:...
 Here's a citation,   http://tech-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/02/12/219243/google-earths-new-satellites Yes Google does purchase 3rd party sat imagery, but I'm fairly certain that at one time Google owned a fair chunk of DigiGlobe.  They were/are one of their largest customers. Agreed, presently live satellite feeds are only in the realm of the NSA, but in the future there will be live, high resolution photogrammetry.    If I had to guess it would be within the next 20...
The data sets (there are many of them) are quite complicated.  These are all relational databases linked via a geolocation (probably a UTM coordinate), and include such things as the base photogrammetry, 3-d renders, open source mapping (which must then be reconciled with the 3-d renders (which is a whole complicated process), data tables tying street addresses to the UTM (or other geolocation base data).  This is just for the base maps, then routing routines, address...
Maps are extremely difficult to manage - the data set is huge, constantly changing, and from a users standpoint needs to be nearly perfect or it is completely useless.     Google has years head start with their acquisition of Keyhole (now Google Earth).  That data set is amazing and Google has done a tremendous job with their KML hooks to allow customization and more importantly crowd sourced corrections to their map sets.   Apple needs to "go slow" with its maps...
 Oh I agree with you!   But this seems to be a bit different (see the article or bing the company).  I spent about 20 minutes with an Oculus Rift at Maker Faire and VR and holography are coming sooner than a lot of folks think.   Pretty amazing stuff....
YES - the last of my check boxes from yesterday are now checked off. Being able to carry around an ATV for quick presentations on any HDMI connected TV will be amazing. Now everything that I had hoped for from this update cycle will occur. OK, for next year's checklist I'm adding 3-d holographic images ( Ostendo Technologies Inc. ). There is a great article in the WSJ on this amazing technology, but it is subscription only (...
I suppose ignorance is as good an excuse as any for a lawsuit ....
I agree, I don't see the purchase by Google as a bad thing.  I love this app, but it has had a lot of warts and even in the latest iteration works best on large signs, not restaurant menus.   I supported the app by purchasing a number of the add in languages.   As for those complaining that they can't or won't be able to purchase - the program and ALL of the add on languages are now FREE in the app store.  So there is no reason not to enjoy the app now.   As for why...