or Connect

Posts by penchanted

Sadly, Samsung still looks like the most reliable component vendor for a number of parts Apple needs for their phone. Until this changes (especially as it relates to the manufacturing the processor), Samsung will continue trying to stick it to Apple in some way or another.
The threat of this supplier diversification alone will cause serious consideration in Samsung's board room. The cost to Samsung for Apple v Samsung is likely to be ultimately measured in many ways. Fortunately, Samsung has proven themselves a reliable manufacturer with quality products and they have proven (and invested) to scale to Apple's requirements. However, this "threat" will definitely get some attention from Samsung as Apple approves other companies as component...
It's interesting to juxtapose this article against this other, http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/27/apple_stores_reportedly_continue_to_see_cutbacks_as_focus_shifts_to_revenue.html
That's the  beauty of moving the SOCs manufacturing to TSMC or Global Foundries - they don't make finished goods.
I've been saying for ages that Apple needs to move production of components from Samsung to other suppliers; the problem is that Samsung truly is a relieable supplier at the volumes that Apple needs. That said, I would like to see them move more production to other vendors and, in particilar, find someone who can manufacture their SOCs which would be a major hit to Samsung. But, even here, I have mixed feelings because Samsung manufactures a good deal of the se SOCs in...
Though tangential to this trial, I hope the DOJ and EC come down hard on Samsung with regard to their attempted fast plays on SEP and FRAND commitments.
I can't help but wonder how many lives this MS fat-cat (Ballmer) has and has used. They definitely need new leadership with a clear vision and an openness to discussing breaking MS's various parts into separate businesses.
I think it would be great news to hear of device assembly being moved to Brazil. I know it reduces the effectiveness of the full supply chain in China, but it also sends a message that China needs to behave manner with regards to worker treatment and the way the intellectual property rights are sorted through their opaque judicial system.   I'd love to hear that Foxconn was building another assembly plant in India, Indonesia, Malaysia or Vietnam.
This is Microsoft's attempt to freeze the market just as they did on the old days with vaporware that never made it to market, although these products will eventually arrive. Their real problem is that Apple has not yet announced the updates to the iPhone and iPad which will unlock this market as people tire of waiting for the MS-powered devices to arrive. The biggest loser here could be Sammy who would otherwise look to have the summer to themselves without much "new"...
It's going to be funny when the results of this suit are turned back on Samsung and Google who have more than likely enjoyed some of the same benefits in its patent portfolio. Even funnier, when the Australian government initiates the review.