or Connect

Posts by penchanted

This seems a particularly reckless claim for a component supplier like Samsung. They seem to be deliberately blurring the line between the component and handset businesses. As a supplier, they should be assuring everyone that a firewall between these two units means that their component customers' designs are safe. Instead, they try to make it sound like they have provided design leadership in both these areas which then allowed Apple to make the iPhone.
I am just awaiting the day that Apple announces that they are contracting with TSMC for their processors. That would be a big chunk of money that Samsung will lose and it will take time to replace. I don't expect this to happen soon, but the sooner, the better. Unless Intel convinces Apple to go with their new low-power chips, but would Intel be willing to manufacture custom chips for Apple?
I can't believe that some people are so anxious to see Amazon re-emerge as a monopoly with full pricing power. 
While I am still uncertain that this approach is best, this is a near ideal fit should Apple choose to follow this path. Not to mention that Loewe already has an alliance with Sharp, and Apple is rumored to be looking to Sharp for new display panels. I do doubt that production will remain in Germany as it would be difficult for Apple to eke out any significant margin even playing exclusively at the high end —  more likely Foxconn gets the build orders
This is why I have maintained that there will be a brokered solution with the Chinese government leaning pretty hard on Proview to get this out of the news.   All Apple and Foxconn need to do it leak that they are scouting potential new factory location in Thailand or India or some other country that would be very happy to have that level of foreign investment.
Bingo! That is a huge difference.   It's really sad that people would even be upset with these companies for fully-complying with the existing tax code. They should be livid with their legislators who both spend their money and who make up the tax code, complete with all of its loopholes that that these companies legally take adavantage of.
I think they got this backwards. I suspect the pressure from the Chinese government is on Proview. China knows that their costs are rising compared to other developing countries and I don't think that will allow such a blatant hold-up of Apple. They are pressuring both sides (but especially the bankrupt Proview) to get a deal done and get this out of the news before other Western companies start reconsidering doing business in China.
I don't really think this decision will bear much weight in the China case. If I understand correctly, what Apple argued was that the case was being properly tried in China and that this case really should have not been brought.
Yes, I am an Apple investor since the late 90s.   But, as usual, you miss the real point which  is that companies should not exist just to shift units but to make money. Most units sold is basically a pissing contest unless it correlates to profitability. Companies don't exist to give you a great deal but rather to extract as much as they can from you. This is capitalism. If you think you are being overcharged, buy something else.
This will eventually have a negative impact on Apple's margins. But the more interesting thing to watch for is how these reduced margins will impact Apple's competition. I think Apple is, in a way, happy to see upwards pricing pressure in the future for what it will do to the competition.