or Connect

Posts by penchanted

I'm okay with them sitting on the cash as long as they have some specific ambition in sight. I would hate to see them buying up companies willy-nilly without regard for the task of integrating employees with a different work culture and the larger the company you buy, the more likely this is a problem. I do think that an Apple-branded MVNO might be a real possibility and would create an ongoing revenue stream. Add some new services not yet thought of and it could be a real...
Of course they are edited. But really, we have people who don't know who was the first president and could not even answer leading questions that contained part of the answer. To me, it's pretty saddening. And I am happy to hear that you know where Yemen is but it makes me curious about your age. I'm 57 and we learned geography. So many younger people have no clue about other countries. This may actually be improving due to the internet - people meet people from other...
I am not sure what part of England Ive and his wife are from, but if it is Somerset, then his kids would be close to their extended family. At any rate, being in England would allow them the opportunity to connect with family more frequently. My mom is one of eleven kids and the only one who moved from Wisconsin (except a brother who worked abroad for the US government). My parents moved to California and I would typically see my aunts, uncles and cousins for a few weeks...
Less expensive phone. Universal SIM. Dual-mode radios. Carriers bidding for iPhone service. I still think this leads to the possibility of an Apple MVNO service for the iPhone. I realize that this is seemingly at odds with the statement that "the company is also said to be looking to expand its carrier partnerships" but maybe that expansion deals with the bidding process. On another note, it is good to see that Apple recognizes that hanging on to all that cash is not...
Yes, our public education system sucks. I was fortunate enough to have a private education. I also had the benefit of traveling abroad from the time I was young - it does make a difference. As far as world views go, it's scary when people who barely know the geography and history of an area are asked to come up with a solution for its problems.I do agree that this should have been a great week for Apple stock after its recent retreat and with the iPad2 announcement. But I...
I am a second-generation American - all my grandparents were born in Italy. And I am not suggesting that I would prefer to live in any other country - my life is quite comfortable here. But I have travelled quite extensively (especially in Europe) and I see that people, by and large, have a different perspective than most Americans do. Some of this is explained by the close proximity of different countries who fought wars and learned to live peaceably with their...
It's true that stereotypes exist just about everywhere but Americans, due a great deal to geography, have simply not travelled abroad much. They have not had the opportunity to meet people substantially different from themselves both culturally and in terms of their history and language. IMO, these makes it very difficult for them to understand a lot of what is happening in other parts of the world and their typical assumption is that most people should aspire to be like...
Unlike many other types of collaboration (even design-related), industrial design requires the ability to lay your hands on the item being designed to gauge all the subtleties and nuances of the design. Sure this can be done by having Ive at the Apple campus some number of days each month but it would slow down the design process. It's not hard to imagine that Ive's team gets something just so and Jobs wanders into the design area and says "this doesn't feel right"....
He probably wants his kids to receive an education that emphasizes their British roots rather than one which focuses on American history. Add to that the fact that many other countries are not nearly as myopic in their world views and see things from a vastly different perspective than Americans.
His estimated net worth is close to $130M, but I doubt he'd retire. I can easily see him starting his own design consultancy and am sure he would be quite in-demand.