or Connect

Posts by penchanted

They pay their fair share based on the current US tax code. Scream at Congress who both spends your money and makes up the rules for taxation along with the many loopholes (and don't think these were oversights) created.
Bottom line is that Coburn is criticizing a company for complying with US tax regulations, many of which he has had a hand in forming.
I guess I am odd but I look to see how much profit these companies make from their endeavors. It matters not a whit to me what position Apple ranks in unit sales if they are bringing home the largest share of profits.
  You make some good arguments but most all of these situations could be "scheduled." Certainly, volume discounting is a standard practice.   The point you make about Samsung and RIM is a good point but clearly many of these situations can be handled as payment penalties and pre-payment rewards (discounts) — all standard practice in industry any way.   In general, for something to be non-discriminatory, the base price needs to be the same for everyone. Whatever deals get...
    What I find most annoying about this is that, once gain, Apple is accused of violating a FRAND-encumbered patent that Motorola has chosen to offer only in a discriminatory manner. I truly hope the EC and FTC look into these practices (by ALL parties) and takes action. My personal belief is that once a patent is declared standards-essential and available through FRAND terms, that the patent holder must publish pricing included any opportunity for discounts....
I've said all along that this would be settled politically and I believe this confirms that. Don't think for an instant that this was not a topic of conversation when Tim Cook met with Chinese government officials. I am pretty certain the Chinese government had no intention of allowing anything that might jeopardize Chinese jobs long-term (which this issue has the potential to do) to happen and was the reason I said that the opaqueness of the Chinese justice system was a...
I believe the purchase of Motorola and all this co-branding (which is essentially annointing "winners") will have a very negative in the long-term growth proposition for Android. If I am a ODM, I'd be looking at Windows as a more neutral playing field, especially considering that Android handset makers are already paying royalties to MS. Bob
As I have said before, right or wrong, it is hard to imagine the Chinese government (not necessarily the courts) letting this suit idle the thousands of workers that would be affected at Foxconn and its suppliers at the very time its economy is cooling off. They might try some face-saving maneuver but is Proview such a national treasure to risk future foreign investment which is likely what would happen should the courts find in Proview's favor. Again, for better or worse,...
Apple really needs to find other vendors fro the parts that Samsung now supplies, especially the processor and display. Taking that business elsewhere would negatively impact Samsung and could reduce some of the ridiculous FRAND litigation they are suing over. On the other hand, Apple must not be reckless. As displayed with the new iPad's display, other vendors are simply not yet up to the challenge. I'd love to see Apple switch to Sharp for displays and TSMC for...
So Motorola is basically saying, "Samsung and HTC, you give me x per unit...Apple, you give me x per unit plus access to all your patents. If that doesn't take the Non-Discriminatory out of FRAND, I don't know what does.