or Connect

Posts by penchanted

With both the EC and the DOJ approving the merger, I'd say any light between Google and Motorola Mobility is quickly vanishing. This was a good call by the judge.
As I suggested earlier, I see the invisible hand of the Chinese government moving the pieces about to make sure that thousands of Chinese workers are not idled even as the Chinese economy already shows signs of cooling off. With an opaque judicial system and lots of political pressure, look for rulings to steadily pile up against Proview as the creditors pick the bones of its carcass. Yang just refuses to acknowledge that Proview is dead.
This approach could solve several issues for cable providers who currently multicast highly-compressed video for multiple channels to each customer. Your approach would allow a single uncompressed stream of much higher quality likely with much lower bandwidth cost.
Very interesting hypothesis and it certainly sounds like the type of thing about which Steve would have said "I've finally cracked it." Apple is no longer the enemy but the enabler, inducing the distributors to buy in. This would actually be a good opportunity for Apple because it would provide a non-retail channel (I'm assuming Apple sells the STB to the cable companies) to monetize their hard work. I've been thinking the same about in-car systems: Microsoft has their...
In this case, I don't think their plans are all that opaque. They'd like to get all the majors in the US on-board but lacking that, they will pursue a deal with either Disney or Fox, both of which can offer film, TV and sports programming.Failing that, they will pursue sports programming and, possibly, tying up with public TV in the states. Interestingly, "public television" in most countries is state-run television and they are often as intractable as the major studios in...
I remember Richard Branson saying some kind words about Steve after his death. It occurred to me at the time that Steve and Apple might be getting input from him. He's another of those individuals who has figured out how to bypass the barriers to entering a market.
Sports programming might well be the key. If they could get content from those you listed plus NASCAR, that would be a viable offering in the US. Add in soccer and they have a world offering.
It's Apple's success in the music industry that has the studios so leery. They are convinced that as long as they can keep Apple and Google out of this arena, they will not lose so much control of the business as the music industry. To me, they are in even worse shape,: I always bought more music than I consumed TV or feature films. They have the added competition from gaming and they are over-valuing their content but they don't see it that way. Maybe Steve worked his...
It's really hard to see how Apple moves forward. Even if they bought an independent distributor, they may well need reapproval for licensing of any content distributed through that entity. This is much like the Netflix deal which makes Netflix less attractive because the content licensing does not automatically follow to the new ownership. I had thought Apple might create a small production company to fund indie filmmakers but this would just antagonize the major studios...
The thing is that we are not talking about a bill of materials, we are talking about a bibliograpgy which typically includes title, author, publisher and copyright date. He chose to throw in the link to a specific store.